Reuse of devices

Hi,

I would like to reuse one of my Shelly Plugs which I use for energy measurements. So let’s say it first measured the power/energy of the dishwasher, and now it measures the energy of the oven. I would like to keep the history in the energy dashboard so leave the statistics untouched. If I rename the Device it also renames the historic data.

What would be the best way to keep the historic data and use the device for something new (like if I bought a new Shelly Plug)

Best Wishes

2 Likes

What if you name the shelly plug something generic like “Shelly plug nr 1”. Then create a variable (under helpers) called ShellyPlugLocation. You could have a button/switch in the UI where you can change the value of the variable to wherever it’s currently located.

Then, you can create individual sensors for the two places where you use the plug with a templated value to fetch the data from the shelly plug if the current device is the one in use. Something like that should work yeah?

@brujoand Yes, that would be a solution. But I think the solution is quite complicated. I don’t change the location very often. I know that I could create a helper So that I can say “dishwasher power” = “Shelly Plug … Power” and “dishwasher energy” = “Shelly Plug … energy” But I would have to do this for all devices in advance.

The question is more related to the current situation. I used this shelly at the first location for a while now and I don’t want that this historic data is removed from the energy dashboard if I use the shelly for a new purpose.

1 Like

Hello all,

I wanted to ask exactly the same question.

The way I see it, you should never actually use the device directly but always create your own sensor (template) and then reference it in the energy dashboard for example.

This is very cumbersome. It would be nicer if I could just use the device and then “archive/conserve” the data or something and then reuse the device.

Currently I also have a Shelly Plug lying around that I can no longer use. I have once measured the solar yield for a year and if I now want to measure a consumption again, he calculates it further on solar.

Is there perhaps a script (e.g. sql) which renames the one entity completely and maps the references?

Greetings

1 Like

I would also like to reuse one of my sonoff smart plugs with energy monitoring which was used for a dishwasher before but I would like to reuse it for a fridge now.
It really surprises me that there is no real straight forward way to do this in HA?

Hello there, does anyone have a solution?
My case is similar:
I have an AVM FRITZ DECT 200 socket. It measures the generated energy in kWh of a mini PV system. Now I want to reuse it to measure another load. As soon as I perform a factory reset of the FRITZ DECT 200 and register it under a new name, the HomeAssistant entity ID simply changes automatically I think the Fritz integration of Home Assistant remembers the Fritz AIN and maps it back to the old HomeAssistant entity ID.

So the question is: How do I learn the same sensor under a second Home Assistant Entity ID so that the energy data is now collected into a separate Entity ID?

Change the entity_id ?

• removed the dect 200 socket from fritzbox
  • renamed and deaktivated Entity IDs in HA
  • did a factory reset of dect 200 socket
  • associated the dect 200 socket to fritzbox
  • HA does not setup a new device
    i guess every device hase Uniqe ID AID wich is recognized by HA and mapped to old devices.

Click there
afbeelding

and change the entity_id

well i dont understand why again? i already changed it from miniPV to miniPV_old

Edit: never mind got a shelly plug s and sold the fritz socket. This Workaround always works :wink: