Rewiring house - Suggestions on hardware please!

I’m currently looking at getting my entire house re-wired as part of some extension work I’m having done (based in the UK btw).

I believe that due to the latest regulations, the rewire will mean I’ll get live and neutral down to all my light switches (currently I have no neutral wire).
This obviously opens up my options for smart lighting controls, and I was also thinking about getting some Cat5/6 ran to each lighting socket at the same time - the idea being I can later fit some POE sensors etc in each room.

Any suggestions on smart light switches which are certified in the UK but don’t cost the earth ? (prefer zigbee as I already have a bunch of devices running on zigbee2mqtt)
Was thinking about getting a double box fitted for each light switch and just blanking off half until I decide what to do with sensors and the like using the network cable…
Anyone gone down a similar route? - I’m not sure how good it would look…

I’m not sure why you would want network cable going to the light socket, you must have meant the switch.
I haven’t seen a light switch with ethernet in it, but I’m not on top of all of the hardware. I do suggest running the ethernet to every room. With all of the devices people have these days, connecting everything possible to copper makes a difference.
The blank would look a little strange in every room, you could simply leave a coil of it behind or next to the box, and enlarge the hole for the switch box when the time comes.

So my thinking with the ethernet cable to the switch is that it seems like a sensible place to locate sensors for a room (motion/temp/humidity etc…) - If I have ethernet in place, then I could simply drop in an ESP or similar with POE… then powering the board is solved without an ‘extra’ wiring… could also do the same with a small converter if I wanted to wall mount tablets etc… in the future too, as they could use POE to charge.

I’m going through the same thoughts and planning as you are - also I’m no expert in this field in general.

I’m thinking of placing two networks wall plates ( with at least 2 sockets ) in each room, and run the cable to one central point in the house. I will be thinking where is the most ideal place to place the plates but that won’t be a big of an issue if I want to change later - I can chainsaw the wall and extend the conduit as long as there is a plate near by.

The question is, how many Ethernet cables are enough?

Nobody knows what the future will provide, but there are advancement in PoE and I don’t see why shouldn’t the light switch and socket do not run over Ethernet. I think this is ideal as you don’t need to buy the wifi bulb, but whatever bulb will do, even if it’s not smart.

One other thing to consider, since you are rewiring is to pass Ethernet cables for your media sources and displays in case you would like to centralise your media.

I have another similar post you might be interested to follow too here

There no reason why you couldn’t run cable to the light socket, but there still needs to be 120v (220 for you over there) since there isn’t enough capacity in the 24ga wire to handle anything more than a half amp. Run the Ethernet at least 12" away or at right angles to limit interference issues.
Placing them at the switch location isn’t a bad idea at all. A separate box maybe a good idea to keep the heat from smart switches from causing false readings.

Can’t see a need for having ethernet in light switches at that height, in saying that, never know what the future holds… But to be sure and future proof, have the electrician run conduits to each switch, this allows for easier pulling of cables in the future if you ever need.

What I would do, would be run ethernet to each room, but at normal height (whatever the standard is in the uk). Hard wired devices are always better.

Add in more GPO’s in each room. I have 3 in each and that seems to be enough, most of the time