RF HUB cabled alternative to BroadLink 433 MHz

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know a cabled alternative to BroadLink RM4 Pro RF transmitter? I have a BroadLink and it works fine. However, WiFi connection is lost for a few minutes sometimes. I’d rather to avoid any RaspBerry or Arduino custom setup, willing to know whether there is a branded and commercial option similar to BroadLink, but with ethernet connectivity.

Thanks!

USB directly into your HA server :wink:

Sounds good. Thank you! Anyway, it would be great if I can get an ethernet option too. Cheers!

A little bit DIY but a ESP32 board with ethernet and a simple IR transmitter all paired with esphome should do the trick. :man_factory_worker:

imageimage

For an easy start just watch out to get the things with pre-soldered pin headers so everything can be wired together tool free with the help of dupont (or other) cables. :hammer_and_wrench:

You might also need a usb-serial adapter once to initially install esphome on the board (after that over-the-air updates are typically the way to go) :rocket:

That’s a nice approach. However, what I need is a 433 MHz RF transmitter, not an IR one. Is there any RF option for the ESP32 board?

Missed that completely. Reading broadlink I directly to IR…

Sure… you can even use everything together and make something like a IR/RF Receiver/Blaster device :gun:

A set of 433 MHz receiver and transmitter can be bought cheaply, for example a STX882 and SRX882 :signal_strength:

Thank you! Will think about all these options and will decide soon. Cheers!

Hi,

I purchased the WiFi version of this device: RFXwifi RFX433. The device works fine and integration as well. However, if the WiFi drops for whatever reason and they it comes up back again, the device reconnects with no issues (I can ping it), but the integration does not recover connectivity. The only way to restore connection is to reboot Home Assistant. I have read in some forums that this is an issue that other people is experiencing with the HASS integration. There is actually an open issue in github since 2020 but it seems it has not been fixed.

I am exchanging emails with the RFX device developers in order to change the WiFi connectivity to the USB port (this is something that the WiFi version allows to do), but it would be great to know whether you or someone else have some advise on this. Thanks!

Not really an advice. As I do use the USB version, and that one is rock solid. Never had even an minor issue with it.
Reading your story just justifies my choice in the past… I try to avoid WiFi in my smart home as far, as possible. Only some not so much important switches are Sonoff WiFi. As I do have a very stable WiFi MESH network, it works well, no dropouts here.
Living in a robustly populated area in an flat apartment, I did choose not to use Zigbee too, reading al interference issues around here, probably a good choice too.

All my devices with some more urgency are Zwave, 433MHz, wired LAN or directly USB connected to the HA server.

I hope, you can make the USB way work :wink:

Finally, I set the device up for it to work through USB. First impression is that it works great! The only “problem” is that I had to add my 16 blinds again, as you must remove and add the integration back in order to change from network to serial, so you must configure everything from scratch, but it took just about 20’. Anyway, that’s an integration issue, something the device manufacturer is not related to, afaik.

A strange thing is that, for the USB option, it is no needed to restart Home Assistant, even though it is disconnected and reconnected back. Will stay on this serial option then.

Apart from this, it is worth saying how awesome the RFXCom support team is. Guys have been very friendly, helpful and quick on responses. I can’t recommend this brand and their products enough!

Cheers!

1 Like

I really love the way, that setting up the blinds is done.

Set listening mode on → press button on remote → set listening mode off → done. Next blind…

Renaming the found blind takes longer, than the initialization :smiley:

So easy, so convenient…

1 Like

Unfortunately, I cannot go through that easy route. For whatever reason, my A-OK blind motors are not fully supported by the RFX firmware, despite the specific model is in the supported devices list. However, the RFX support guys guided me on how to manually figure out the codes for implementing them into the HA integration. It was pretty challenging but was also fun!

Long story “short”, first I had to get every remote raw output with RFXmngr. Then, I had to extract the codes from such outputs. That’s the most tricky part; RFXCom support told me how to identify the right sequence, as you don’t have to use the full ouptut (a specific range only) and the sequence must be converted to HEX format following a specific procedure. In order not to do mistakes, I managed to build an Excel sheet that analyzes the output code and convert it to HEX. After that, I had to transmit the code using RFXmngr blinds tab, and the software returned a specific code. That is actually the code that must be inserted upon manually configuring a device through the integration option. It was hard to do, but managed to get codes for all my remotes and that’s only needed to be done once, fortunately. :slight_smile:

Having told this story, last night, the device became offline despite it is USB connected. I had to restart HA this morning for the connection to be recovered. I hope it was just a isolated glitch, because you said that you haven’t had any issue so far. Nevertheless, I’ve had some issues with the device I got, and RFXCom offered to exchange it, something that I will eventually accept given the circumstances. I am very happy though. I understand that some times things happen, but as long as the product has a great support, I have no reasons to complain. :slight_smile: Anyway, I will keep testing it and see what happens in the upcoming days.

1 Like