RFlink: How can i add/create a receiving only device?

Hi all, I’m used to use Domoticz (still running on a different Rpi) and I have been building a new installation of Home Assistant. All my sensors have been transferred, and everything works great. The last network to transfer is also the most important one: 433mhz! I installed dimmers and switches all over my house years ago. Setting this up with RFlink in Domitcz was very easy. There was a really nice UI for it, and integration in Domoticz was made very easy. (no editing text files for example). In HA the support seems to be there, but not as a integration with any UI at all. I think i installed it correctly, but i dont understand the next steps i can take.

In 433mhz devices there is a big difference between a transmitter and a receiver. A transmitter (remote or wall switch) sends a code. Typicaly these are only “on” codes, but there are also “group” codes, and codes that include data like the percentage of light for a dimmer, and sensors like temperature of humidity.

If i understand correctly you can auto add these to HA, but you can also get their data from the logs (which log?) and add them manually to configuration.yaml. To bad there is no UI for this, but i guess i can work with this.

A receiver however receiver is a different story. If i want to control a 433mhz switch i need to learn it a code that was generated by a transmitter, or one that is defined in the home automation controller. In Domoticz it was possible to create any devide. Just create the right kind (for example dimmer) select the right protocol (for example KAKU), and choose a “random” code yourself. Next you need to send that code while the receiver is in learning mode.

I dont have a clue on how to do this. Can anyone help?

This ?

Hi, thanks for responding!

Maybe that is what i need, but i have no idea how to use it. Can you point me to some guide? i have been looking but are not able to find it.

Also, is there some sort of log that lists all the received devices? If so, where can i find it?

It has been 2 years since I setup my rflink, and I really haven’t touched it since. But from memory :

There is no log of received devices. What you can do :

logger:
  default: error
  logs:
    rflink: debug
    homeassistant.components.rflink: debug

This way received (and sent) messages appear in the regular homeassistant log.

Another way :
under light: , add

- platform: rflink
     automatic_add: true

Lights and switches will appear on the autogen dashboard like that. Then you can move them to yaml ,
and give them a sensible name. Best to move detected switches to the switch: section

device_defaults:
      fire_event: true
      signal_repetitions: 2
    devices:
      eurodomest_227e06_06: 
        name: deurbel
      ev1527_0089e9_06:
        name: garagedeur
      ev1527_0d0886_08:
        name: fire_alarm
      ev1527_095e46_08:
        name: rfikeaswitch1
      ev1527_095e46_04 :
        name: rfikeaswitch2
      ev1527_095e46_02:
        name: rfikeaswitch3
      ev1527_095e46_01:
        name: rfikeaswitch4
      newkaku_03a0b810_1:
        name: flamingo1
      newkaku_02aba400_2:
        name: switchkamerschuindak
      tristate_85562a_1:
        name: impulsb
      tristate_8554aa_1:
        name: impulsa
      ev1527_0ff398_08:
        name: switchlichteetkamer
      selectplus_00633b_02:
        name: selectplus  
      newkaku_03a0b800_2:
        name: bovenTV
      newkaku_03a0b800_3:
        name: bovenProximus
      newkaku_03a0b800_4:
        name: bovenVentilator
      newkaku_03a0b800_5:
        name: bovenrflink
      ev1527_00bd30_09:
        name: achterdeuroff
      ev1527_00bd30_03:  
        name: achterdeuron

For sending a command, best to use yaml mode :

replace with whatever you want to send and click ‘Call service’

Again thank you so much for your reply! I think i got that far by myself yesterday. Configuration.yaml now looks like this:

light:
    automatic_add: true

logger:
  default: error
  logs:
    rflink: debug
    homeassistant.components.rflink: debug

So i think that pretty much identical to you! :slight_smile:

I’m not seeing any of these things in the log but new KAKU devices however do appear as entity in HA. For the logs i’m looking at: supervisor → system → log → core. Its the same for configuration - > logs.

So anyway, besides the log i think this is working. I can pick up 433mhz signals, but i still dont know how to generate one that isnt already send by a 433mhz transmitter and added as a entity.

The developer tools are totally new to me. It seems like its a way to make HA do something without having to switch a entity with UI switch or automation. Do i understand right?

So from your example:

ev1527_095e46_01:
        name: rfikeaswitch4
      newkaku_03a0b810_1:
        name: flamingo1

Is newkaku_03a0b810_1 only a name, or does i contain all data of what needs to be transmitter?
I guess that “newkaku” can be the protocal and “03a0b810” could be the unique code like generated by a transmitter
So what is the last number?

And how do i get to send it a certain command? I guess for a switch its “on” and “off” but how do i send a command to set a dimmer at 50%?

I cross-referenced with my esprflink. For a 4 button remote, I have

'10;newkaku;03a0b800;2;on;'
               '10;newkaku;03a0b800;2;off;'
               '10;newkaku;03a0b800;3;on;'
               '10;newkaku;03a0b800;3;off;'
               '10;newkaku;03a0b800;4;on;'
               '10;newkaku;03a0b800;4;off;'
               '10;newkaku;03a0b800;5;on;'
               '10;newkaku;03a0b800;5;off;'

So the last number seems to see the button pressed.

Indeed