RFXtrx broken after upgrade to 0.113 [SOLVED]

Hi all,
after upgrading to 0.113 this morning I get that “host” is not a valid option for rfxtrx integration.
Checking the docs I don’t see that this particular (and rather useful) option has been deprecated, on the contrary it seems the most common way to set up the RFXtrx integration.
Am I doing something wrong or this is a bug?
My configuration.yaml for it is the following:

rfxtrx:
host: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
port: xxxx
debug: True
dummy: False

Tried rebooting, no go. I am not a big fan of rfx but they make a much cheaper door/window sensor than zwave!! :slight_smile:

@RobBie1221 I saw you made some improvements to this component on this version, would you have some time/knowledge to check this out?

It’s still supported. The dummy isn’t, could you try to remove it from your config?

If it still doesn’t work, could you check your log output and share it?

Hi Rob!
Thanks for your answer! I must have missed some updates… so, I removed the “dummy” option as you suggested and indeed there was improvement:

• the system comes up without the error
  • a new rfxcom integration is visible (before, it didn’t exist) albeit with no devices
  • all existing devices are grayed, which probably means I have some catch up to do :slight_smile:

Thank you again for your quick help!

To expand more, this is what I now have in the logs:

020-07-27 09:45:44 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.switch] The rfxtrx platform for the switch integration does not support platform setup. Please remove it from your config.
2020-07-27 09:45:44 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.light] The rfxtrx platform for the light integration does not support platform setup. Please remove it from your config.
2020-07-27 09:45:44 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.binary_sensor] The rfxtrx platform for the binary_sensor integration does not support platform setup. Please remove it from your config.
2020-07-27 09:45:44 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] The rfxtrx platform for the sensor integration does not support platform setup. Please remove it from your config.

Meaning that I need to change my config so that the old switches/sensors/lights are properly configured from the UI.
My installation is so old that I sometimes wonder I shouldn’t start fresh instead…

The platform support has been removed.

You have to move the device codes under the integration (see the docs). The “name” property is not supported anymore and names should be set through the UI.

Hi all,

I’m a bit lost on this. I use below line for easier maintenance and smaller configuration.yaml file:
binary_sensor: !include binary_sensors.yaml

In the file ‘binary_sensors.yaml’ the following was configured:
- platform: rfxtrx

So if I read the error stated, this is not a valid configuration anymore. But if I remove ‘- platform’ and replace it with ‘- rfxtrx:’ an error is stated that a key is missing.

I moved all the binary sensors to configuration.yaml, which solved the errors, despite the fact that I have to reconfigure all the device names manually now because ‘names’ is not supported anymore.

So at the end: it is not clear to me what the first line in ‘binary_sensors.yaml’ should read to get back to using the original way of configuring binary sensors.

Any help is appreciated, regards
OWK

You cannot use the old platform setup anymore. So instead of doing:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: rfxtrx

You use:

rfxtrx:
  devices:

You have to keep it in the configuration.yaml. Do note that this will probably also go in near future as these kind of integrations need to be set up through the UI (see below)

Thanks Rob

That answer leads to the conclusion that the description of the breaking change announcing the move away from rfxtrx platform configuration is to short. Also testing the new release on forehand using the test facility in supervisor does not warn for this either, makes it a bit of a surprise. At least for me…

So this is what has to be done manually for binary sensors, switch and sensors:
-copy the entity id’s from the original yaml to configuration.yaml under rfxtrx:
-leave name configuration out
-remove rfxtrx devices from the original yaml files
-in the UI: configure the name for each device moved

I suspect that automations have to be reconfigured as well because the original entity ID is required, not the name.

Regards
Owk

The release notes could have been better, many people were surprised.

I suspect that automations have to be reconfigured as well because the original entity ID is required, not the name.

After adding, you can change the name in the UI back to the “old” name. That wasn’t possible before. Once you reconfigured the names, your automations should work again.

Note that someone is working on restoring the name property for easy migration (changing many names in the UI is not really fun).

Thanks Rob

Good to know it will be taken care of

Regards
OWK

Hi Rob

Found out that configuring groups.yaml it is required to use the entity id. Using the friendly name does not work.

Also the entity id shown in the developer tools states tab is changed. It now has a AC prefix and the id’s are a lot shorter then before. It is now better actually then before.

Today I hope to get started with adjusting automations.

Regards
OWK

Do note that you can also adjust the entity id to anything you like.

Hi,
I have a simular problem. i can’t get rid of the following error

Logger: homeassistant.components.switch
Source: helpers/entity_platform.py:127
Integration: Switch ([documentation](https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/switch), [issues](https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22integration%3A+switch%22))
First occurred: 7:45:02 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 7:45:02 PM

The rfxtrx platform for the switch integration does not support platform setup. Please remove it from your config.

This is what I have in my configuration.yaml

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?