RFXtrx component adds entities, but not devices

I’ve just switched from Domoticz to Hassio and so far I’m not disappointed. However, like many of you I’m slightly confused by devices vs. entities. But my problem is quite specific.

I have z-wave as well as rfxtrx for the “cheaper” switches. In my config I have the following items for the rfxtrx component:

rfxtrx:
  device: /dev/ttyUSB0
  debug: True

light schemerlamp:
  - platform: rfxtrx
    automatic_add: True
    signal_repetitions: 3
    devices:
      0b1100ce3213c7f210010f70:
        name: schemerlamp_device

This works fine, I can switch the entity light.schemerlamp_device using a GUI element.

The main problem I have now is that I cannot use this light in a scene or as an automation because the light.schemerlamp_device does not appear as a device. In my devices list I only see all z-wave devices not the rfxtrx entities…

So:

1. How can I turn rfxtrx entities into devices?
    or
  2. How can I use entities directly in scenes or automation without the need for devices?

All my RFXTRX are not appearing in devices/entity list neither but they are working in automations files.
Did you try this in an automation ?

automation:
- id: one
  alias: Turn on light 
  trigger:
    - <your trigger>
  action:
    - service: light.turn_on
      data:
        entity_id: light.schemerlamp_device

You can try to turn on the light using the service in the “services” tab within the “development tools”.

1 Like

Thanks, this pointed me in the right direction. In the end I added the following to automations.yaml:

- id: schemerlamp_aan
  alias: "schemerlamp aan"
  trigger:
    - platform: sun
      event: sunset
      offset: "-00:30:00"
  condition: []
  action:
    - service: light.turn_on
      data:

- id: schemerlamp_uit
  alias: "schemerlamp uit"
  trigger:
    - platform: time
      at: "22:00:00"
  condition: []
  action:
    - service: light.turn_off
      data:

This makes the entry editable from the GUI in the “automations” section of Hass.