RGB Downlight options

Hi all!

What are HASS compatible options for smart downlights? The one’s you embed into the ceiling.

I’ve found Phillips Xiaomi Zhirui downlight, but it’s not RGB and WiFi. Which is no dealbreaker, but I just want to see all the options. I’d also like to have something bigger, preferably zigbee controlled (as long as it does not require a proprietary hub and can be controlled by zigbee2mqtt or something. Or at least Phillips Hue hub, I trust it to work flawlessly and offline).

Also regarding https://www.home-assistant.io/components/light.xiaomi_miio/ this component - do I need to get token for EACH light? Like in if I have 20 of them I need to get 20 tokens?

Thanks for your time and attention!

I use standard downlight housings with GU10 connector and use Innr GU10 lights and Hue GU10 lights.

Good point, thanks. Any cheaper GU10 alternatives? Hue’s are ridiculously overpriced IMO. At least where I live.

Innr is a bit cheaper. Don’t know of others.

BTW; The cheapest way to integrate multiple lights is to use normal dimmable downlights on 1 switch and make the switch smart. That way you can controll all at once.

I use GU10 OSRAM Lightify RGBW bulbs with the deCONZ USB.
Works great, no issues
They are not really cheap though but I bought them new on ebay for around £20 each

A cheaper Zigbee alternative to Hue you might find in Gledopto GU10 (can use either Hue or Zigbee2MQTT hubs).

An even cheaper light is with MiLight (they have multiple down light options, not only GU10; futlight site has quite a few http://futlight.com/productlist.aspx?typeid=110) and use a custom emulator https://github.com/sidoh/esp8266_milight_hub instead of the official MiLight hub which is limited to 4 groups.

Thanks, I didn’t know Gledopto did GU10 (or E14 candle), has anyone tried them ?

I’ve only used led controllers (RGB+CCT) from Gledopto and they work fine with Hue hub.

Yes I’ve got one connected to the deCONZ. it’s works fine. Think I’ll buy a couple of the gu10s and see what they’re like.

MiLight allows each light (bulb or led controller) to be added in up to 4 different groups and this results in a large flexibility.

If having more than one light per room then each light can be paired to groups 1 to 4 for the same remote ID. This allows for: i) settings similar to Hue scenes (in which bulbs are controlled individually: light 1 receives red light for command, light 2 receives green, light 3 yellow and light 4 pink); mostly for show :slight_smile: ii) use of group 0 to control all 4 lights in the same time to use with regular lighting.

Also, one of these four groups to which lights are paired to can be set to include the entire house and all lights will be changed at exactly the same time (obviously, an all lights group can be setup in HA; however, each light will be changed individually and having more than 4-5 lights it will take several seconds until all are changed).

In addition (only with custom MiLight emulator running on ESP8266 and NRF24L01, not with official MiLight hub), commands from the handheld or wall remotes will update HA states so lights, controllers and HA will all be in sync regardless of device used for control.

Thanks guys!

Oh right, forgot to check MiLight! Thanks :smiley: I never bothered with custom emulator because I did not need more than 4 groups in apartment, but for a house I will certainly need more. What radio protocol do they use though? Is it their own, or is it zigbee or something?

Zemismart zigbee rgbw looks like it will tick most of the boxes for you.

MiLight uses 2.4 Ghz band however is not the same as Bluetooth/Wifi or even Zigbee.

Essentially it is a non encrypted protocol for sending packets to the lights so it might raise a few security concerns as the packets can be captured and/or replayed to control lights by someone in the vicinity (it has a range of approx. 5-6 m in a building with relative strong walls so a rogue needs to be quite close to achieve control).

However, as the official hub is probably doing a lot of home calling (as it is the case with most “smart” devices, either of Chinese or of Western origin), the emulator mentioned above brings some improvement by not requiring internet access. Noise can be added by HA sending commands to fake lights in order to make identification of real ones harder.

In summary: light bulbs are cheap, provide very good performances (at least the 12W FUT105 bulb gives about 1,100 LM) and, case you don’t mind the 10 year old kid living next door snooping on the packets from the lights, they’re an overall good option.

1 Like

What about IKEA Tradfri?

No RGB option for IKEA GU10s last time I looked ?

Not available here officially, and unofficially it’s sold here at twice the price. And at twice the price the single color Tradfri bulb costs exactly as much as a Xiaomi’s Yeelight Color.

@Petrica Thanks!

@Philip_Embleton Thanks! Link please? Also I’m talking about downlights or gu10 bulbs, not regular e27 bulbs. Ideally in 10-20$ range.

@Holdestmade tbh I could live without rgb, as long as there’s temp and brightness control

@Philip_Embleton

Found this one: https://ru.aliexpress.com/store/product/Zemismart-4-inch-WiFi-RGBW-Led-Downlight-10w-Voice-Control-Alexa-Echo-Dot-Spot-Show-Google/1848374_32872319062.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_2582331.pic_1

It says it’s wifi. Could work, but zigbee and zwave are a priority for me. Ideally compatible with Hue bridge and\or zigbee2mqtt.

@Michael_Davydov Any success connecting ZemiSmart wifi to hass?
Thanks!

The project is delayed since house is still under construction, so no, did not even try yet