RGB LED problem

Hi all,

I recently acquired a Govee tv led kit. I like the set up of it and the control box, but as its not flash-able or hack-able I have done away with the control board and made my own based around a D1 mini.

All the buttons work the same but now it is easily integrated into home assistant.

The issue i’m having is the red led stays on constantly dim but easily visible this the case even when switched off.

It seems when there is 5v on the common and a positive voltage on the red channel it keeps it lit dim. This only happens with the red leds the greed and blue aren’t an issue.

The only difference I can see with the red to the others is the resistors on the strip are a different value on the red channel, I don’t know if this could be the issue.

Any input is appreciated
Thanks in advance.

You need a level shifter to take the 0 to 3.3v out of the D1 mini GPIOs and convert them to 0 to 5V.

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify do you mean if there is 5v on the common and 5v on the red it should be ok. Its because the gpio pin gives out 3.3v that this is happening?

or

does the led strip need to see 0v?

Thanks

The first one. The gpio is not able to output 5V, which is what is required to turn the LEDs fully off if there is a common 5V rail to the LEDs.

More of an issue with red rather than green and blue as red has the lowest forward turn on voltage.

1 Like