Rheem Hotwater heater, econet?

That’s good news! The current integration works very well for me and I appreciate all your hard work. Hopefully official support will expand functionality. My water heater collects a ton of data from various onboard sensors. It would be great to make use of it to trigger automatons etc.

New Rheem Econet owner here. Trying to figure out how to integrate the econet. I added the econet configuration info:

Rheem EcoNet tankless water heater

installed March 2020

water_heater:

I don’t see any error messages about it, but I also don’t see any trace in the hass web pages that it exists.
Could I trouble folks to a pointer to where I could read more about what I can do with this integration? Thanks!

Mine shows up as the entity below. I can adjust the temp and vacation mode. I think electric models may have access to more features.

water_heater.gas_water_heater_wifi.
attributes:
current_temperature: null
min_temp: 90
max_temp: 131
temperature: 125
target_temp_high: null
target_temp_low: null
operation_mode: null
on_vacation: false
in_use: false
friendly_name: ‘Gas Water Heater [WiFi]’
supported_features: 3

That’s where I expected to find me. I have about 100 entities in there, but none of them are from the Rheem and no complaints in the log file, either.

More concretely, the log file file has the following information regarding the water_heater and econet:

BSH:sdo-g5> egrep 'econet|water'  homeassistant.log 
2020-03-24 12:56:09 INFO (SyncWorker_7) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded water_heater from homeassistant.components.water_heater
2020-03-24 12:56:09 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded econet from homeassistant.components.econet
2020-03-24 12:56:10 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up water_heater
2020-03-24 12:56:10 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.water_heater] Setting up water_heater.econet
2020-03-24 12:56:10 INFO (SyncWorker_11) [pyeconet.api] Authentication was successful, token set.
2020-03-24 12:56:10 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain water_heater took 0.6 seconds.

But I still can’t find any mention of the water_heater in any of the Lovelace screens
What am I missing?

I’m very new to HA but not Home Automation in general. I have a Rheem econet enabled water heater. I added the econet support to my Home Assistant (Hassio) on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and it worked fairly reliably. However, that support was through the Wink software hub. Now, I’ve tried to enable econet support to communicate with Rheem Econet directly and I’ve followed all the directions to enable it using the water_heater component and it’s not working. The entity appears as “unavailable” and the log reads as follows…

Authentication request failed. Please check credentials: 500
Token expired

Both the iOS and Android apps work normally logging onto and operating econet WRT my water heater but, for some reason, when I enter that same info into my configuration.yaml file, it never successfully logs on.

Has Rheem altered something in their app to disable the function of the water_heater component in HA? Or, am I missing something?

Thanks.

Mine appears to be offline for the last 3 days. The API that was being used was very old and isn’t officially used by their app anymore. I would assume they dropped support for that API and we are all SOL now.

I reached out to them about a month back and they said they were working on a public API but it would be awhile before it’s done.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. At least I know now that it’s probably not something I’m doing wrong. It’s too bad that Rheem chose to severely limit the kind of data and control available to the user even with their own app.

I just got a RPi4 and installed the econet water heater integration (Rheem EcoNet Products - Home Assistant) and, after spending an evening figuring out how to make a card that can display an attribute, I could FINALLY track the upper and lower temperatures of the water heater and not just the setpoint, as the official econet app only shows.

This was working great for about 1-2 days but unfortunately this morning I was getting that HA was not able to connect, and when I went to the econet website login I saw the same. However the android app is working perfectly fine. The website does say:

The EcoNet web browser app will no longer be available as of April 20th, 2018. Please be sure to download the latest EcoNet mobile app from the Apple App Store or from Google Play prior April 20th in order to avoid any disruption

So, maybe they just got around to shutting it off? Not to mention the api seems several years old at this point. I’m kind of at a loss as to what to try next. I’ve sent feedback to Rheem, so I’ll see if they say anything. It’s pretty frustrating as this was one significant benefit I saw getting into Raspberry Pi and HA specifically.

C’est la vie …

Have been reading from other home automation communities that Rheem did change their api to MQTT. So seems the current integration will need to be redesigned to use MQTT.

Correct. We have a working custom component over here, could use more testers.

Just had an econet water heater installed. Would love to help out with testing the new econet component. Could I an invite to the discord channel? The link above doesn’t work.

Sorry about that the links expire by default and I forgot to enable never expire.

Well, I’m glad that I looked back at this thread to see that the API is now broken and I wasn’t just an isolated incident. I hope they can open that up soon so we can get that info flowing back into HA.

@diode jump in to that discord and check out the custom component being built. I have it about 85% done, but should work for most things now.

@ w1ll1am23 Sorry, been out of the HA scene for a bit, but now I’m back and am trying to catch back up. Is this still being worked? It would be great to get this back into my HA setup. Thanks!

@diode there is a PR in progress to get it officially merged,but if you want to run the current custom component, just check out the discord chat and review the pinned comments.

Apologies for the revival on this… but couldn’t find anything as substantial as this thread.
Please also see this on github: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/38510

I’m somewhat new to HA and trying to poll/query my ProTerra Rheem water heater.
I’m open to trying things you throw my way.

The zip in the pinned comments don’t work for me running 0.117.6 docker image.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 197, in _async_setup_platform
    await asyncio.shield(task)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/econet/water_heater.py", line 87, in setup_platform
    econet = PyEcoNet(username, password)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyeconet/api.py", line 212, in __init__
    self.api_interface = EcoNetApiInterface(username, password)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyeconet/api.py", line 42, in __init__
    self.authenticated = self._authenticate()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyeconet/api.py", line 196, in _authenticate
    self.token = response.get("access_token")
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'get'

Is there a particular Lovelace card I should be using to get controls like this on my dashboard?

I can only pull up these controls AFTER clicking on the entity.

1 Like