Rheem Hotwater heater, econet?

Well, I’m glad that I looked back at this thread to see that the API is now broken and I wasn’t just an isolated incident. I hope they can open that up soon so we can get that info flowing back into HA.

@diode jump in to that discord and check out the custom component being built. I have it about 85% done, but should work for most things now.

@ w1ll1am23 Sorry, been out of the HA scene for a bit, but now I’m back and am trying to catch back up. Is this still being worked? It would be great to get this back into my HA setup. Thanks!

@diode there is a PR in progress to get it officially merged,but if you want to run the current custom component, just check out the discord chat and review the pinned comments.

Apologies for the revival on this… but couldn’t find anything as substantial as this thread.
Please also see this on github: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/38510

I’m somewhat new to HA and trying to poll/query my ProTerra Rheem water heater.
I’m open to trying things you throw my way.

The zip in the pinned comments don’t work for me running 0.117.6 docker image.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 197, in _async_setup_platform
    await asyncio.shield(task)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/econet/water_heater.py", line 87, in setup_platform
    econet = PyEcoNet(username, password)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyeconet/api.py", line 212, in __init__
    self.api_interface = EcoNetApiInterface(username, password)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyeconet/api.py", line 42, in __init__
    self.authenticated = self._authenticate()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyeconet/api.py", line 196, in _authenticate
    self.token = response.get("access_token")
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'get'

Is there a particular Lovelace card I should be using to get controls like this on my dashboard?

I can only pull up these controls AFTER clicking on the entity.

1 Like

Here’s what I did with a template switch. There is a service (water_heater.set_operation_mode) that you can set it to either electric/off (in my case electric anyway). Excuse the not-pretty card, just got it working, but you get the jist.

switch:
  - platform: template
    switches:
      water_heater_control:
        value_template: "{{ is_state_attr('water_heater.water_heater_1', 'operation_mode', 'electric') }}"
        turn_on:
          service: water_heater.set_operation_mode
          data:
            operation_mode: electric
          target:
            entity_id: water_heater.water_heater_1
        turn_off:
          service: water_heater.set_operation_mode
          data:
            operation_mode: "off"
          target:
            entity_id: water_heater.water_heater_1

whcontrol

tell me more about the available hot water metric. I really want to know the temps of the two thermostat probes so i know when my wh is back to full capacity, but i cant seem to get that outside of looking at the physical panel

Hello all,

In australia we don’t seem to have econet.
I just installed a rheem natural gas instant hot water system today. I did no opt for the wifi kit yet but can add it later.

We have this wifi kit called ezi set which allows you to set the water temp via a phone app. Buy Rheem Eziset Kit 052310 Smartec WiFi Communicator
Does it look similar or do you know if it might work with the econet integration?

1 Like

Can’t say for sure, but since its a rheem product I think there’s a good chance.

Sorry to necro this old thread but Rheem Eziset is completely different to Rheem Econet. For one, Eziset does not connect to the cloud at all and is purely LAN.

I’ve documented the protocol as much as I can here: Unofficial Rheem Eziset Protocol Documentation

I have a working model to control the water heater using Node-Red as well - although it does not include the bath fill mode. Happy to share if you think this will be useful. Would love to rewrite this as a HACS custom integration but that is way above my paygrade.

1 Like

I didn’t end up getting one but perhaps your progress might convince me to. Getting something from integration stage to HACS is fairly easy but i’m also unfamiliar with HA integration code.

In a quick look i didn’t see an integration of yours, at least nothing familiar anyway. How are you getting it into HA?

Any chance i can hardwire the connection instead of another damn wifi device i’m meant to plug into my router?

I didn’t end up getting one but perhaps your progress might convince me to

You can buy it online for a huge discount over Rheem’s RRP ($290). I think I saw it somwhere for sub $200 but even shopping around at plumbing suppliers you can get it much cheaper.

It’s been a game changer for me, no more fiddling with the hot/ cold dial in the shower. Just set it to full hot and give it around 15s for the heater and pipes to warm up - perfect every time.

Just be aware, the water_heater entity and the input_number helper isn’t greatly supported at this stage e.g. doesn’t seem to work with siri or google assistant. It doesn’t necessarily bother me because I have 2 hot water settings that I use “shower = 37C” and “washing dishes = 50C” and I use a switch to flick between these two settings.

In a quick look i didn’t see an integration of yours, at least nothing familiar anyway. How are you getting it into HA?

I haven’t written an integration - as I said it’s above my paygrade. I have written something using Node-Red which works though. Looking at a tutorial on writing integrations, it seems overwhelming.

Any chance i can hardwire the connection instead of another damn wifi device i’m meant to plug into my router?

Possibly, although I’m not sure how wise it is to have a hardwired cable running into your hot water heater (which is why I’m guessing they have done it this way). A better way would be to decode how the hot water heater is communicating to the powerline box - it seems that Rheem is using off the shelf hardware so, there really are only a few options (hidden wifi network, 833Mhz, zigbee, bluetooth, z-wave).

Edit: I’ve updated my documentation with my Node-Red flow

1 Like

Sorry to revive this old topic but it’s the first result for “homeassistant rheem eziset”.

I’ve created a custom_component for Rheem Eziset now: New Rheem Eziset Integration - Testers wanted

With the protocols mapped I wonder how hard it to be to replace a bathroom controller with an esp32 to send remote commands the Hot water system.
I’ve seen mods for aircons that do the exact same thing. The esp32 replicates a controller and your good to go.

I might need to have a play with this