Rheem Hotwater heater, econet?

Ahhh, my bad yeah that was a typo. You can ignore the services.yaml error it is looking for it in the custom_component directory and it isn’t there. So does your water heater only have the two modes available? Is that all that shows up in the official app?

yes the app shows “Energy Saver”, and “Performance”

Okay, cool. I’ll get this updated.

Hi So I just updated to 61.1 and my econet is throwing an error

2018-01-22 19:18:55 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.climate] Error while setting up platform econet
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 171, in _async_setup_platform
    SLOW_SETUP_MAX_WAIT, loop=self.hass.loop)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/asyncio/tasks.py", line 400, in wait_for
    return fut.result()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/asyncio/futures.py", line 293, in result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 55, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/climate/econet.py", line 83, in setup_platform
    water_heaters = econet.get_water_heaters()
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pyeconet/api.py", line 188, in get_water_heaters
    for location in self.locations:
TypeError: 'bool' object is not iterable

Hmm that’s a strange error. I’ll take a look.

It looks like that can happen if the token is expired. Which isn’t how I should have set the library up. If you restart again does it still happen? Do you see any other error before that in the log?

Got it resolved. It was pointing to the wrong creds in my secrets file. I now have the sensor

climate.heat_pump_water_heater_gen_4

I tested it against the android app and updates do show. There is a slight delay about 10seconds or so, but I’m in a bad cell area so I’ll just assume its a network issue. But otherwise it works great.

Great job!

1 Like

I am getting a configuration error in hass for econet, running version 0.62.1.

ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.climate] Error while setting up platform econet
File “/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/climate/econet.py”, line 80, in setup_platform
water_heaters = econet.get_water_heaters()
File “/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pyeconet/api.py”, line 193, in get_water_heaters
File “/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pyeconet/api.py”, line 81, in get_usage

I was going to hit up the issue tracker, but while making sure that my stuff don’t stink, I saw that the required version of pyeconet is 0.0.5.

homeassistant.components.climate.econet
pyeconet==0.0.5

I’m not sure what my old version of hass was before I upgraded. 0.61 I think. At any rate, somehow the pyeconet version did not change with that upgrade. I upgraded to 0.62.1 again, to see if I could notice it barking about anything, and it did not. However, when I did “pip3 install --upgrade pyeconet” pyeconet did upgrade to 0.0.5.
Even so, I get the same error.

Long winded, I know. Sorry. I thought you’d want to know about the pyeconet version thing. And I’d like to know if there’s anything I can do to troubleshoot this issue.

FWIW, I downgraded to 0.61.0 and am getting the same error. Any suggestion for which way to jump in diagnosing this would be much appreciated.

Is there more to that error, I think there should be another couple lines.

You’re right:

2018-02-10 10:21:11 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Error while setting up platform fitbit
File “/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/fitbit.py”, line 235, in setup_platform
import fitbit
File “/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/fitbit/init.py”, line 10, in <module>
File “/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/fitbit/api.py”, line 13, in <module>

I think there’s something with my environment causing this, else somebody else would be having the same issue. I just can’t figure out what it is.

Can you PM me your entire log?

Thanks @w1ll1am23 for the help! In the unlikely event that anyone runs into this issue, Somehow or another pyeconet was not getting updated. I thought that maybe I had done something wrong when I had upgrade to 0.62.1, but now I’m unsure.
I just upgraded to the latest release (0.63.0) and pyeconet is now 0.0.5, and the component is present in hass. Yippee!
To prove to myself that it was me doing something wrong, I went back to 0.62.1, and when I was on that release, pyeconet was downgraded to 0.0.4 and I got the same error.
So heck, I have no idea!
For whatever it’s worth, these are the differences I saw the installer script mention while moving from 0.62.1 to 0.63.0:
yarl-0.18.0 to yarl-1.1.0
astral-1.4 to astral-1.5
aiohttp-2.3.7 to aiohttp-2.3.10
homeassistant-0.62.1 to homeassistant-0.63.0
pretty ordinary, right?

Did you ever decide on how you wanted to roll the usage reports? I wish the API provided water usage, but as it is, seeing the energy usage would be nice. I’d like to see if I could determine how much $ I could save by running the unit in eco mode, if any.

Based on the error you were getting your water heater isn’t returning usage statistics. You don’t see usage in the Android/iOS app do you?

I have only been using HA for about 2 weeks. I am running Hass.io and began at 0.61.1. I didn’t have too many items to add so tried the Econet Water Heater component. It didn’t discover but just figured I was doing something wrong. I upgraded to 0.62.1 and still didn’t discover. Today I am happy to announce that it discovered after updating to 0.63.0! I just have a standard electric Rheem water heater without the heat pump option. Just wanted you to know it is working on Hass.io. Thanks w1ll1am23 and all that contributed.

1 Like

I don’t see anything, since my ancient iPhone 5 doesn’t support the app. I can tell you there’s not a blessed thing when I login with a browser other than vacation mode on or off, and perfornance or eco mode. There’s only one module for the electric water heaters, right? Would it be that my water heater isn’t telling the module when it’s heating? @anon91811138 had some nice data as I recall. Is there some FM I can employ to see what Rheem is reporting about my water heater? Maybe I’ll find “supportsUsageData”: false?

I borrowed an Android phone from a buddy at work and logged into Rheem-land using the econet app. And guess what? No performance data. I cannot find anything on their website that says anything about getting or not getting data out of the water heaters, but I’m left to assume that my water heater isn’t providing the data to the module for whatever reason.
And hey, if it weren’t for you guys, I wouldn’t even know what I’m missing!

1 Like

Too bad that kinda stinks. Maybe reach out to third support and see if they can explain what’s going on.

I have a dumb question … how do you set the temperature? I tried the following but get the error below it. I am able to change the operation mode to eco and performance perfectly, but just can’t get the temp set.

“entity_id”: “climate.electric_water_heater”,
“temperature”: “140”

Error executing service <ServiceCall climate.set_temperature: entity_id=[‘climate.electric_water_heater’], temperature=140.0>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/pi/hass/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py”, line 1002, in _event_to_service_call
await service_handler.func(service_call)
File “/home/pi/hass/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/climate/init.py”, line 331, in async_temperature_set_service
await climate.async_set_temperature(**kwargs)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 56, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File “/home/pi/hass/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/climate/econet.py”, line 184, in set_temperature
self.water_heater.set_target_set_point(target_temp)
File “/home/pi/hass/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pyeconet/equipment/water_heater.py”, line 126, in set_target_set_point
error = “Invalid set point. Must be < %s and > %s” % self.max_set_point, self.min_set_point
TypeError: not enough arguments for format string

Hmm that’s is a poorly worded error lol. I believe your call will work, 140 is just too high. I think it warns for anything over 120 and I assume 140 is way too high to be valid? Just a guess. Try like 121 and see what happens. What’s the highest you can set it in the app?