Ring Camera Modes

Is the Ring Protect system, with the keypad, etc required in order to get Ring’s alarm control panel to show up in HA? I am not using Ring’s alarm system / monitoring. But all of the Ring’s notifications work best if you enable the modes.

I’m thinking I may disable all notifications in the Ring app. But then recreate these notifications using HA and looking at the individual devices. This might remove the need to change the Ring modes. Any thoughts on this idea?

Update: I have removed Ring Protect and I am now using an Alarm.com provider for security. The integration is much better. I would still love to add the modes for Ring because even without Protect, the notifications, recording rules, etc are all based on the mode. So, this integration would be super helpful because I could sync Ring to the alarm.com status whenever I arm my regular security system.

Do you have Ring Protect enabled? I am not seeing this even though I also see all my Ring devices in the MQTT devices.

I am a +1 for this. I did not quite understand what was meant by MQTT. I have just started doing this for about a week and a half, though.

I would like to do the following if it is possible:

I have three “modes”:
Disarmed, Home and Away. I have two cameras: Front and back (you are not getting to the side of my house without one of those picking you up…city lot). Disarmed disables both cameras and I do that when working in the yard, home just disables the backyard camera, which I use that mode for entertaining or watching movies on a projector on nice nights, and away uses both cameras.

I am a bit absent-minded so when leaving or going to bed for the night, automatically switching modes to “away” would be beneficial. Also, if I change my house mode to “entertaining” or “backyard movies”, it disabling the backyard floodlight camera would be a help.

Is there a solution here meanwhile? So to add the modi’s to HA and be able to switch?

Greetings Marcel

1 Like

I finally got this installed and figured out and OMG, this is exactly what I have been looking for. With one of my cameras on battery and solar (I still have two batteries, though), the Ring app limited what I could do for this camera. For instance, I could not operate the light and the siren and it would not show up in the HA integration.

After setting this up (and you do need to go to the UI and log in to get that security token), I can now include the siren and the light in my automations and I have set down the snapshot time between to 30-seconds. Going to monitor battery over the next 24-hours, especially with it being cloudy outside, and see if it takes any hit. To date, I have never seen battery 1 go below 97% and battery 2 stays at 100%.

I mainly wanted this to be able to change between modes. I do not have the Ring Alarm but I do have certain modes set up to turn off cameras when I entertain. Now, my automations do that. I would forget at night to turn the cameras back on and now with the automations, as soon as it changes to night mode, it turns them back on, or if I leave or every morning.

How exactly did they add the modes?

Greetings, Marcel

As long as it’s exposed, I’m sure Tom will add the functionality as soon as the API is updated to support it.

I have a Ring peephole camera, so when the door is open, it becomes an indoor camera.
Since we leave the door open a lot in the summer, it’s always recording.
I want to use modes to disable the camera when the door is open for more than a minute.

Thanks. This works perfectly. I guess I’ll have to manually re-authorize every 30 days.
Has that been a problem for you?

Never had to reauthorise, it should take care of that itself.

How exactly did they make it?

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Changing modes? Use the Ring-MQTT addon. It allows you to change modes.

2 Likes

I would still like to be able to automate Ring Modes. I have Ring-MQTT but can’t find modes anywhere.

do you have a link for it? thx

I think I’ve found it.
In the Ring MQTT add-on (not devices) in configuration, there is a toggle setting called enable_modes. Activating this has given me a Mode device under MQTT which has settings of Home, Away and Disarmed.
I’ve managed to change the modes in my automations

It’s exactly what I was looking for so thank you to the devs!

I can’t find that add-on :frowning: do you have a link to the information?

In Home Assistant go to Settings → Add-ons and then search for Ring MQTT

I don’t know if this will help anyone, but I found out I can switch on and off motion detection with Ring MQTT. So, now, when I need to shut off motion detection to specific cameras, I do it with toggling that specific switch. I imagine you can set up home modes (I have that) and then set up an automation that based on when that mode switches, you have the motion detection switch turn on or off for each specific camera. I am thinking about adding a mode for when I am working on the garage to turn that off or I can just manually hit that switch.