Ring Doorbell Automation - Node Red, Data Tempate, Alexa, iOS companion app,

Just started playing with node red and trying to do the following:
Someone rings the doorbell (Ring doorbell integration), this sends push actionable dynamic push message to iOS (works), a few different actions: 1.(works) open front door strike lock (Shelly 1), 2. (works)Repetitive announcements on Alexa if no one answers, 3. inputText action to send notification to specific Alexa (doesn’t work).
So I have two issues:

1. How do I take the input text from the app and pass it to the call service action in node red - I can see in debug the input text in msg.payload.even.request_info (as well as in another string variable), how do I write the JSON to just take that - or do I need to rebuild the string with a function?
  2. This is a weird one, the camera.ringdoorbell does come up as a video but during testing its not really showing me a live feed from the Ring device (yes I have a subscription), its showing me some loop from the recent past (possibly the last recorded video) instead of showing me live video.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
1 Like

just wanted to update for anyone who needs this that I received a response from Xtacy on discord, the correct JSON syntax to do what I was looking for is:

"message": "{{payload.event.response_info}}",

this allows you to just put JSON variable in as a response