Ring doorbell motion sensor stopped working

In the last few days I noticed that Home Assistant is no longer receiving motion sensor alerts for my Ring Doorbell. It was working fine until sometime very recently. The doorbell-ring sensor still works fine and detects ring events. All other devices and services connected to Ring are still getting motion alerts, only HA isn’t getting them. It was set up automatically when I installed HA originally, and I haven’t changed anything to do with the Ring doorbell since. The badge for the Ring motion sensor still appears, there are no error messages in the log related to Ring, and configuration.yaml still looks the same:

ring:
  username: my email
  password: my pwd

# Sensors
binary_sensor:
  - platform: ring

camera:
  - platform: ring

Has anyone else noticed this problem? Any idea what could be wrong?

The Ring Video Doorbell has always been very unreliable in combination with Home Assistant - at least in my setup.
That’s why I’m using the way Ring -> Alexa -> Node-RED (+ node-red-contrib-alexa-local) -> Home Assistant to ring my Homematic doorbell.

Ring relies on an undocumented API, i have seen this happen and it will correct itself later on. Check your logs to see if you have any errors like sensor taking too long to update. Also try to restart HA and see if it fixes it.

I put in a backup using IFTTT -> Node Red for the moment.

I guess I’ll have to wait and see if the HA-Ring link ever fixes itself. It’s odd that ringing the doorbell still gets to HA correctly, but motion-detect doesn’t.

I did of course restart HA and check the error log, as that sometimes helps with other problems, but as I said, no errors or timeouts to do with Ring in this case.

Seeing the same problem, and filed an issue:

1 Like

I have had this happen several times now, and each time I just had to wait for it to spontaneously fix itself a day or so later. Restarting Home Assistant doesn’t help.

It’s odd that it affects only the motion sensor, not the doorbell ring.

1 Like