Ring Doorbell

BTW in the meantime, this is the way I have been displaying them using template sensors:

#
#
#  Ring Sensor last updates
#
#

ring_last_ding:
       friendly_name: Last Ding Time
       value_template: "{{ as_timestamp(states.sensor.ring_doorbell_last_ding.attributes.created_at) |  timestamp_custom('%D %-I:%M %P') }}" 

ring_last_activity:
       friendly_name: Last Activity Time
       value_template: "{{ as_timestamp(states.sensor.ring_doorbell_last_activity.attributes.created_at) |  timestamp_custom('%D %-I:%M %P') }}" 

ring_last_motion:
       friendly_name: Last Motion Time
       value_template: "{{ as_timestamp(states.sensor.ring_doorbell_last_motion.attributes.created_at) |  timestamp_custom('%D %-I:%M %P') }}"

1 Like

Agreed, I was just pointing out the issue. It’s not a problem for me as I don’t display the information anywhere.

Mine is set to dd/mm/yy and 24h format, because we don’t use PM or AM…
So it would be like:

timestamp_custom(‘%d/%m/%y om %-H:%M’)

Hello @rpitera,

I did not put it as part of the sensor, because by default it will be displayed a badge, so then it would not fit on it.

What we can do is to create a new sensor that will show a full timestamp that can be used when grouping it, then the template sensor will not be required.

Regarding the volume sliders I think it is a great idea, however I’m very bad with frontend development.

We can try to create a custom UI card to test the concepts. Maybe we can check with @andrey or anybody else to help us.

mmello

1 Like

Actually, I’m just fine with using the template sensors, but the sliders would be a great addition.

Is it possible to get some hints on this from @w1ll1am23’s implementation of Ring in the Wink component?

1 Like

Can the volume be changed via automations? I see it mentioned in earlier comments but it’s unclear if this is possible?

@beanian yes it would be possible. Creating a script to be called by an automation is possible. Check https://github.com/tchellomello/python-ring-doorbell#playing-with-the-attributes

I’m working on a documentation to complement the Ring door bell sensor.

That would be great awesome! :slight_smile:

I have an automation setup to turn on my porch light if there is motion detected by my Ring doorbell. Its works pretty well, but I’ve noticed my porch light being on at odd times of the night, usually around the time I let my dog out into the back yard. I don’t have any traffic or other false positives like some people do. I do have a few stick up cams though and realized that the Ring component of HASS is telling the ring binary sensor that there is motion whenever its triggered on either the doorbell OR the stick up cams. The documentation just says it only supports the doorbell so I previously just assumed that the stick up cams would have no affect on this.

Is there any way to separate out stick up cams from doorbell motion?

Hello @gregg098

I don’t have a stick up cam so I could not test it, however currently it should display only for ring doorbell camera.

We can tag team if you need help to add support to stick up camera if you want to help.

mmello

I think it would make a great addition to this component. Let me know what I can do to help out with this.

I was looking at getting a stickup cam before I got my doorbell, and the stickup cam implied that it requires a doorbell. I wonder if the doorbell is the gateway to the internet for the stickup cams, so motion from either one of them is triggering the action.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense. Using the doorbell as a gateway would simplify the electronics in the stick up cams.

@tchellomello I see there was some discussion on getting the Ring livestream working in HA. Wondering if that is something that can be accomplished. I am thinking of getting the Pro version and would really like the livestream.

There is no prereq to have a doorbell if you just want a stickup cam. Honestly, I wish I had just bought a multi camera system with a central DVR. Stick up cams are OK, but not great.

Support for the ring floodlight cam would be awesome, being able to toggle the lights on/off via HASS would be great.
I’m hoping to pick one up in the coming weeks so might be able to have a look at the API and see whats involved

1 Like

I’ve written up a Ring like project using a pi zero and RF button in case anyone wants a 35 dollar solution :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This would be more on topic in Share Your Projects. More people will see it as well. :wink:

2 Likes

Is there an option in the “API” for enabling night mode? Would love to write an automation and let HA control that instead of the built in algorithm.

I have an overhang on my porch that causes shadows so the Ring Pro is in night vision mode 90% of the time.

Thanks.

@ntalekt I’ve never seen this option on their official APP. Do you see this option on your APP?

If so we can try to implement a method for this and create something. If you don’t see this option on their APP, then I doubt that there is something available for now. The only configuration that I see is related with motion_zones but I don’t think that this is what you are looking for.

'motion_zones': {'active_motion_filter': 2,
   'advanced_object_settings': {'human_detection_confidence': {'day': 0.9,
     'night': 0.9},
    'motion_zone_overlap': {'day': 0.4, 'night': 0.5},
    'object_size_maximum': {'day': 0.5, 'night': 0.5},
    'object_size_minimum': {'day': 0.06, 'night': 0.11},
    'object_time_overlap': {'day': 1.0, 'night': 2.0}},
   'enable_audio': False,
   'sensitivity': 5,
   'zone1': {'name': 'Zone 1',
    'state': 2,
    'vertex1': {'x': 0.37891233, 'y': 0.41554308},
    'vertex2': {'x': 0.5702341, 'y': 0.4132959},
    'vertex3': {'x': 0.7998594, 'y': 0.3871438},
    'vertex4': {'x': 0.96561456, 'y': 0.5951311},
    'vertex5': {'x': 0.9877265, 'y': 0.98200375},
    'vertex6': {'x': 0.5705619, 'y': 0.985},
    'vertex7': {'x': 0.37374583, 'y': 0.95428836},
    'vertex8': {'x': 0.3674749, 'y': 0.68956804}},

You can file an issue at https://github.com/tchellomello/python-ring-doorbell/issues and let’s see if someone has an idea about it.