Ring z-wave firmware updates?

I’ve poked around in the past looking for ways to potentially get Ring firmware upgrades when not using the Ring hub. I’ve tried adding a Ring hub as a secondary controller to ZwaveJS as well (it does not work at all and threw my mesh into disarray).

I assume that if a Ring device is excluded from my network, and I include it onto the Ring hub I happen to have in a box in the attic, that the hub would do a firmware upgrade for me. Has anyone tried sniffing those? It’s such a pain in the ass to exclude/include/exclude/include just for that.

FWIW the reason I ask is that the Ring alarm keypads (V2) added motion sensing in a firmware upgrade, which I’d like to use on some older keypads. I suspect there may be some quality of life improvements in other sensors, but don’t know for sure (and there’s no way I’d go through the hassle for 20+ contact sensors).

My keypad has firmware 1.18 what does your have? Also I’m interested in learning more about how you tried to set the hub up as a secondary controller.

Lastly if you do go the route of excluding devices I recommend you unplug your Z-Wave stick then exclude your devices. This will prevent your note IDs from getting deleted. Then we you go readd devices just perform a replace inclusion. Your devices will then get included with the same exact note ID and name as before. This will keep you from having to redo your automations.

1 Like

Good advice on unplugging like that, that would definitely help keep the hard-earned meshing logic.

The keypads without motion detection are v1.8.0 in ZwaveJS. The ones that do have motion are version 1.18 and 2.0.0. I love z-wave firmware versioning :expressionless:.

When I tried to add the Ring hub as a secondary controller… I honestly don’t remember how I did it. Luckily I documented it here: Trying to add Ring base station as secondary controller - Devices - Hubitat. I was using Hubitat as my z-wave radio at that time (before switching to ZwaveJS). I wonder if I could get it to pair with ZwaveJS now… when I noodled with it before it was during the early 700 series shitshow. Now that things have quieted down… hmmm.

For whatever its worth, I got a ring hub and a new keypad. The new keypad says it has zwave hardware version 4 with FW: v2.0.0 and SDK: v7.16.3. The old keypad is zwave hardware version 3 with FW: v1.18.0 and SDK: v7.12.4. My old keypad is paired with the ring hub and it says that the firmware is up to date. Looks like v1.18.0 is all that the older keypads are getting. (See edit)

EDIT: I left the keypad connected to the ring hub overnight and it did update the firmware. The SDK stayed the same, but the firmware was updated from 1.18.0 to 1.20.0.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Did you exclude the keypad from zwavejs then join the Ring hub to get the firmware update? Then re-include to zwavejs?

Thats exactly what I did.

I dont know how long it has to be paired with the ring hub to receive the update. Initially, I only paired it for about 20 minutes. The hub said the firmware was up to date, so I removed it and paired it with zwavejs again. It was not updated. I’d say to leave it paired with the ring hub for a couple of hours, but it could happen faster. Not sure.

2 Likes