Rinnai Heating/Cooling Wifi Module

Hi @David_M, I’ll look into the MQTT support when I get some spare time. I’m currently making some enhancements to the plugin at the moment.

That’s interesting about the NC-6 not showing the current temp in the app. @mitchmario has 2 of these controllers and they do show the current temp for him (see his posts above). I wonder what the difference is?

@Mantorok- Yeah, I looked in to it a bit more. The owners manual actual has this:

The Rinnai Touch Wi-Fi Kit and Rinnai Touch App is backward compatible with Wired Networker
Wall Controller models NC-3 and NC-6, but depending on the system configuration, there may
be some limitations. For example, on the NC-3 and NC-6, the App may not display the actual
room temperature(s). - https://www.rinnai.com.au/wp-content/uploads/B064750_Rinnai-WiFi-Touch-App_OM-Issue-1_March-2019.pdf

He might have his configured for Multi Termperature Set Point. Ours is set for SingleTemperature, and I’ve got an NC-6 for Zone 1 and 2. I’ve got to get around to buying an NT-1 sensor for Zone 3. There’s various configurations, but it’s unusual why one would impact the current temperature displayed in the app.

Looking forward to the new plugin revision. If I can ask for one enhancement to add to your list, could you see if it is possible to include the Zone Active/Idle state? I did a few status tests, and it looks like this is the “AE:” “Y/N” value for each zone. I can see you’re reading it in your code, however it would be good return the output as I’m trying to replicate the NC-6 functionality as much as possible (i.e. it will show when the Zones are Idle once the set point has been reached by turning from solid to flashing.)

Hi Mantorok, well done on the Homebridge integration, I’ve had success in bringing the connection into Home Assistant. I’ve had connection issues through the Homebridge server at times though where I regularly receive:
[Rinnai Touch] Connect failed: connect ECONNREFUSED 192.168.xx.xxx:27847 [Attempt 1 of 3]

This error message continues over and over, I’ve tried restarting router (restarting Rinnai box is a little more difficult as it’s in the roof)
The next day I find it working for a few hours, then waking up in the morning I find it continually can’t connect.
Any ideas?

@David_M, don’t get too excited by the new version. It’s mainly me refactoring the code to make it easier to maintain. There will be some minor improvements. The plugin does use the AE value to indicate if the Heater/Cooler is currently active. In the HomeKit app this is shown by an orange circle for heating, blue for cooling and green for idle in the Thermostat. I’m not sure how that translates to HA.

@mojario, I get that error occasionally too and the only way I can clear it is to restart the router. Like you my module is in the roof so not easy to restart. I’ve tried to mitigate this as best I can in the code but its not bullet proof unfortunately. One thing I would recommend is not to use the TouchApp on your phone. I find if the plugin and the app try to access the module at the same time it can cause problems.

I think what happens is that the module takes a while to close the TCP connection and if another connection is attempted while its still closing it screws it up. I suspect this is a known issue as it appears the module reboots itself on a regular basis which may explain why you find it works for a short while the next day. The plugin waits about 1 second for the connection to close before attempting another one. I could make this a config option so you can try increasing it to see if it helps you.

@Mantorok - Yep, noticed the thermostat circle colour changing when heating/cooling is on. Looks like the zones might have this characteristic also. I’ll do some more testing with @FrontBottom’s status script, but my intial observations are below - e.g. (left) Zone A/B temperature setpoint met vs (right) Zone A still heating, and Zone B setpoint met.

@mojario - If you have the mobile app open for longer than a few secs you will definately see these timeouts. Sometimes comes good overnight. Make sure you kill the app in the background also.

BTW - when I spoke to Brivis they said they were still working on the Google integration - hopefully it’s not a complete rewrite after all the effort put in to the Homebridge plugin.

2 Likes

Hey all you cool cats and kittens! It’s getting COLD here in Canberra already and so have been using my Brivis Ducted Heating. I spent an hour last night while I was meant to be asleep reading through this WHOLE post to see all the progress you smart people have made! Amazing work!

I have some entry level questions as I would like to integrate this into my HA also if someone can help?

I have 2x NC6 controllers (set up by previous owners next to each other), one for Ducted Heating and one for Evap Cooling (no zones on either):

• Do I need one WiFi module, or two for each device?
  • I would love to get current Temp, from reading through this I will need the Touch controller. Again, would I need two or can one Touch control both?
  • I would love to get zones in my house (Bedrooms and living areas) but I assume I’d need a professional to help set that up?

Really looking forward to getting where I am now (nowhere) to where some of you are!

EDIT: Took a chance and ordered the Rinnai Touch. Can confirm that one wi-fi controller can control both my heating and cooling (I also ended up consolidating my NC-6 to a single unit).

Hey @Hass10… I’m no HVAC expert, but the first thing I’d be checking is whether your system will allow you to consolidate your Heating and Evap Cooling thermostats. If they’re both using Brivis Controllers, the backend might just need to be wired correctly and the installer parameters configured properly.

The wifi module essentially acts as an additional thermostat and is daisy chained with the existing thermostat wires. Get both your thermostats on to the same wiring and you should just need one module.

I can’t get current temperature from the app, so I’ve just got some Xiaomi Aqara zigbee sensors to report room temps in to HA. Having these sensors displayed on a tablet might be an alternative for you.

For zoning a recent Brivis system you’ll probably need to look at adding a Brivis ZonePlus (516 module). The wifi module will be able to control the zones, and the HomeBridge plugin can present it to HA. Alternatively, if your house isn’t too big, you can always replace the NC-6 thermostats with an EcoBee or Nest, but you’ll need a Brivis 529 analog interface. You can get remote sensors for these which uses room temperature averages to give you a poorman’s zoning solution.

1 Like

Thanks @Mantorok / @David_M, I’m having far more success without opening the app! Thanks for your help, this is working well now.

Does anyone have any experience with the Home Assistant Climate Card? I point into the Homebridge Rinnai sensor but can’t work out how to use a custom temp sensor so that the climate card shows current temp as opposed to 0 degrees (due to Rinnai not pushing that information through)

Hey @mojario - yeah, I couldn’t find an easy way to do this, so I just found a more suitable custom card called simple-thermostat, as you can hide the curret temperature in it and looks a lot neater imo…

1 Like

I’ve just published version 2.2 of the Rinnai Touch plugin. Main changes are:

• Major code refactor
  • New Manual switch to allow toggling between Manual and Schedule modes
  • New Heater Cooler service as optional replacement for Thermostat
  • Support Celsius or Fahrenheit (previously Celsius was hardcoded)
  • Add config schema to allow config via Homebridge Config UI X

Let me know if there’s any problems.

@David_M Now that I’ve completed ver 2.2 of the plugin I’m free to look at adding MQTT support. I knew next to nothing about it so I’ve been reading up on it. From my understanding there is a broker and one or more clients. The client can publish messages and/or subscribe to them.
I’m thinking I could write a client that directly connects to the Rinnai module. This would publish various status information (E.g. current temp) and subscribe to commands (E.g. set target temp). Is this something like what you were thinking of?

Hey @Mantorok - that’s basically it. I’ve seen that there are a couple of MQTT plugins available for HomeBridge, however the accessories need to support the protocol first. Not sure if these would help in anyway, or if it would be better to include in your module…

Hi all :slight_smile: I only found this thread after spending a month speaking to various folks at Rinnai and Brivis to get some documentation. In the end one of their helpful staff sent me the API docs for the Networker bridge.

On the off chance it’s helpful, I’ve posted it here:

N-BW2 Networker Bridge (WIFI) Application Programmers Interface Issue 1.3

3 Likes

Wow I can’t believe this exists. Nice work @duncan_bayne

I wonder if the Wifi Module’s firmware can be updated? They list a changelog for versions 1.0-1.3. The only version number I can see on my module’s http page is 2.9.0.000_31.1.4.0.1_1.0.3.25_0x4000010

I also wonder if the N-BW2 Interface Test Application is available for public download. Looks interesting

This is awesome @duncan_bayne!!!

After a quick skim of the doc I can already see a few improvements I can make to my homebridge plugin.

Glad it’s useful :slight_smile: Mantorok, would you like any assistance with the plugin (bugfixes, features, etc.)? I’m reasonably new to Python and Home Assistant, but have solid experience in other languages and frameworks.

Thanks for the offer @duncan_bayne but I don’t think there’s much more dev required for the plugin. I’m currently wrapping up a new version that adds MQTT support.

There is one thing I would like to add and that’s cloud support. The TCP connection can be flaky so it would be good if the plugin could fall back to using a cloud connection. There is some discussion on this earlier in the topic but I don’t think it was ever cracked. Maybe you could use you contact at Rinnai/Brivis to get the Cloud API document (if it exists).

BTW, the Homebridge plugin is written in nodejs.

You mean we just had to ask …??! :joy:

There is some interesting stuff in there - and we can stop guessing was some of the Acronyms really stood for! First time I’ve seen the Fault stuff (useful for me since my Gas heater sometimes fails to start, so would be good to get a notification when that happens …

This is great!

@FrontBottom Yeah but it took a month of asking to find the right person … seems like most companies producing IoT stuff do a lousy job of documenting their APIs. And even those with great documentation, like Rinnai, don’t tend to make it easily available.

@Mantorok I’ll ask.

Just signed up to say thanks so much to the hard work done by various parties to get this going. I’m way more excited than I should be to be able to finally control the heater with the Home app and/or Siri. Cheers!