Rinnai Heating/Cooling Wifi Module

I ended up putting the module on a “Smart Switch” so I can power it on/off remotely (granted there are some risks in doing that). I’ve also found that forcing it to reconnect to my WiFi seems fix most connection issues I’ve had. (Noting that none of these are a nice “integrated” solution!)

How do you pull the temps? It is a REST API?

(Sorry - i thought I was replying to a “Home Assistant-er”, not you!)

Nah - within home asisstant, there are lots of ways to pull various sensors/devicves/entities into the UI. in the one I showed, it is as simple as telling it where to get the displayed value from - it doesn’t even know it is a temperature value (if that makes sense?)

There is an easy way to feed these value back into Homebridge (via Homekit integration module) - but not sure how you can get access to them from the plugin?

I feel so bad. :smile:

I don’t think plugins are able to talk to each other in Homebridge. One option could be to use MQTT. The plugin could subscribe to a topic to get the temp. Then HA just needs to publish the temp from whatever sensor is configured. Is that feasible?

Yeh that is easily doable (in fact I already do that to get the “Main Zone” temperature into the climate control UI)

@Mantorok thanks mate you’re a legend, I’ve updated the plugin and now can control Zone A

@David_M / @FrontBottom I’ve created the custom card as you have specified which works with the exception that if I select “fan only”, there’s no way to switch it off unless I switch the heater on then switch off? Do you have that issue? Because if you do it may be a config problem within the MQTT plugin?

I’ve done and found that if you select “off mode” it sends the “hvac/mode/set/off” topic (shown in the Homebridge logs) which does not switch off the fan. I have set up manual MQTT node-red node to force “fan off” injecting “switch/fan/set/off” topic but nothing shows up in the Homebridge logs?.. Either there is an issue with the homebridge MQTT plugin or my config (the later is more likely).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Just realised that I can add the fan switch in a seperate card but would be nice if I could lump that into the custom card including the Zone A?

I can confirm same behaviour … will have a look later tonight to debug.

Hmm… Good pick up. I checked and confirmed the same issue. Mostly this is due to the plugin/module treating the Circulation Fan as a separate entity/accessory which can run when the mode is off. Doesn’t look like you can modify the MQTT thermostat config to support this.

As you’ve already tried, creating an automation to get around this should work. i.e. If HVAC mode switches from fan_only to off, send this topic ‘hvac/switch/fan/set’:off… Will try creating a flow tonight.

Thanks, I got the flow to work… I should have read the MQTT doco properly re: brivis HA plugin. As for the Fan I can work around this.

So I’ve slowly been mucking around with MQTT and it seems to be working! (if not never always consistently, but certainly always delayed [not complaining!]).

Anyway, I came across this error when testing turning on/off the heater via MQTT payload:
Sent: brivis/hvac/mode/set, Payload: heat

[6/25/2020, 4:50:10 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] [INFO] Received: brivis/hvac/mode/set, Payload: off
[6/25/2020, 4:50:10 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] [INFO] TCP Connection: Open
[6/25/2020, 4:50:12 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] [INFO] Sending Command: N000056{"HGOM":{"OOP":{"ST":"F"}}}
[6/25/2020, 4:50:14 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] [INFO] Publish: brivis/hvac/action/get, Payload: {"U":"off"}
[6/25/2020, 4:50:14 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] [INFO] Publish: brivis/hvac/mode/get, Payload: off
[6/25/2020, 4:50:14 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] [INFO] Publish: brivis/switch/heat/get, Payload: off
[6/25/2020, 4:50:14 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] [INFO] Publish: brivis/switch/manual/get, Payload: off
[6/25/2020, 4:50:14 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] [INFO] Command succeeded. Took 2033 ms
[6/25/2020, 4:50:20 AM] SyntaxError: Unexpected token N in JSON at position 886
    at JSON.parse (<anonymous>)
    at RinnaiTouchRepository.dataHandler (/homebridge/node_modules/homebridge-rinnai-touch-plugin/repositories/RinnaiTouchRepository.js:241:33)
    at RinnaiTouchTcp.emit (events.js:315:20)
    at Socket.<anonymous> (/homebridge/node_modules/homebridge-rinnai-touch-plugin/repositories/RinnaiTouchTcp.js:41:30)
    at Socket.emit (events.js:315:20)
    at addChunk (_stream_readable.js:295:12)
    at readableAddChunk (_stream_readable.js:271:9)
    at Socket.Readable.push (_stream_readable.js:212:10)
    at TCP.onStreamRead (internal/stream_base_commons.js:186:23)
[6/25/2020, 4:50:20 AM] Got SIGTERM, shutting down Homebridge...
[6/25/2020, 4:50:20 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] [INFO] Shutting down plugin
[6/25/2020, 4:50:20 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] [INFO] TCP Connection: Closed
[6/25/2020, 4:50:25 AM] [HB Supervisor] Homebridge Process Ended. Code: 143, Signal: null
[6/25/2020, 4:50:30 AM] [HB Supervisor] Restarting Homebridge...

Any ideas as to the cause? Should I be concerned?

@aquavass, I think I found the cause of the fan not being turned off. I’ll fix that in the next release

@Hass10, that error looks like a 2nd status message was appended to the 1st. I have seen this on occasion when the data event handler is not processing the messages from the module fast enough. I’ll see if I can enhance the plugin to handle this scenario.

1 Like

@Mantorok You are such a big help, cannot thank you enough for all your hard work (and everyone else in this thread) for creating this. It helps complete noobs like me out a lot, and I get to learn along the way!

If you need anything on my side at all for debug, let me know.
My setup is:

• 1x NC-6 Controller (no zones)
  • 1x Brivis Ducted Heating [Starpro Max HX23IN]
  • 1x Brivis Evap Cooling [Contour L43]

@Mantorok again you’re a champ and appreciate all the work that you have put into this!

Had a play (via Home app only at this point). Appears to work fine. Fan and Pump on/off worked as expected. Fan controls works. And state updates when I make changes manually via controller. Have yet to make a controller in HA, so can’t test via MQTT yet!

Good stuff.

Thanks for testing it for me @FrontBottom. :+1:

Version 2.5.0 of the plugin has been released. This version contains:

• Ability to use ‘Heater Cooler’ accessory as zone switches
  • Sourcing the Current Temperature from MQTT subscriptions for zones
  • FIX: Fan does not switch off when set via MQTT hvac/mode/set topic
  • FIX: Handle case where status messages may be concatenated
  • FIX: Turning Zone Switch on while Thermostat & Fan are off throws error

@David_M, I’m hoping the use of a ‘Heater Cooler’ as the zone switch will go some way to solving your problem of not being able to see the idle/heating/cooling state for each zone. It does look a bit weird seeing multiple thermostat-like accessories though.

Adding the ability to set the current temperature via MQTT will hopefully solve the problem of showing 0.0 as the temperature in the iOS Home app when no temperature (ie. 999) is supplied by the WiFi module. You can now source the temperature from a 3rd party temperature sensor as long as it can be published to MQTT. When the plugin receives this temperature it treats it as an override and display it in preference to the one from the WiFi module. When used in conjunction with the new ‘Heater Cooler’ zone switch you’ll be able to view different temperatures for different zones.

Enjoy. As always let me know if there’s any bugs.

1 Like

Stop saying it like I’m doing you a favour :wink: If not for your efforts, we would all still be fluffing about.

I tried the new MQTT subscription for zones - in my case for Zone U. Worked out of the box. In HA land I was already publishing the temperature for my “Main Zone” from my Xiaomi sensor via MQTT so that my HA climate controller could see it. I simply added the same MQTT topic into the new Plugin config and it worked out of the box. Nice work @Mantorok!

FYI, I decided to use a HACS thermostat that works quite nicely with the MQTT formatting other users in this thread helped to create :slight_smile: Works very well! I’m not smart enough than some of the users in this thread who seem to be able to build their own awesome cards, my use case is much simpler (only one zone for heating/cooling).

I plan on setting the Current Temp (ambient_temperature:) to a zigbee temperature reader (when it finally arrives) as I have the NC6 with null reporting temp in MQTT.

68747470733a2f2f6262732e686173736269616e2e636f6d2f646174612f6174746163686d656e742f666f72756d2f3230323030332f31342f3137323534347133616a703737343263626f373537682e676966