Rinnai Heating/Cooling Wifi Module

Version 3.0.7 of the plugin has been released. This version adds a new MQTT config option to publish all topics even though the payload has not changed. It also fixes a bug when clearing the accessory cache.

Enjoy…

1 Like

Morning all,
Not sure if it’s the new version, but I’ve noticed my ability to communicate via MQTT fails over time. It’s like the plug in just stops accepting MQTT inputs.
Interestingly, the HomeBridge commands still work…
I’ll post up logs later in the morning…

[Edit - 8hrs later]
So I had a look in my MQTT logs - couldn’t see the HomeBridge/Rinnai connecting… checked the settings in the Plug-in and restarted HomeBridge and it re-connected… Not sure what’s going on here - will monitor and let you know of any further issues…

• Rusti

Maybe the plugin lost connection to the MQTT Broker. If you can supply any logs if it happens again that would be great. Also, could you post your config.json

Yeah - it might have been a furphy on my end as it’s not happened since. In fact, it seems to be behaving perfectly…!

In other news - I just got my Aeotec Z-Wave Multi-Sensors to give me the ability to get temp readings from various places in the house (because my NC-6 won’t give me temp readings), so now I’m able to work on my Node-Red controls for auto zone control and auto-mode switching (AC/Heating) based on internal temperatures, etc… :slight_smile:

Hey @Rusti-gotrage…this is the same as what I reported last week. It’s happened a couple of times, but hasn’t happened since the last HB restart.

I’ve started semi-automating the recover of ECONREFUSED errors using a node-red Telegram bot. I didn’t want to go full automated recovery yet incase I created a power cycle loop and kill the module. Can now achieve this level of automation thanks to @Mantorok creating a module status topic. Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi All,

My gas heater has finally packed it in, I’m looking to replace it with a Rinnai unit with 2 independent zones controlled from an NC7 and the Rinnai Touch Wifi Module.

If I only have the one NC7 will I be able to see the current temperature readings from both zones through the homebridge plugin, reading through the thread this is my understanding? How does the second zone get a temperature reading, does the installer just wire up a temperature sensor on the wall in the second zone?

Any suggestions for good installers in the SE Melbourne area?

1 Like

Hi @nicp

I have a very similar set up to what you’re looking at getting. Although the plugin can support showing the current temperature in all zones (by using the Heater Cooler accessory as the zone switch) the module will only supply a single temperature for all zones.

I think if you also get a ZonePlus kit then the module will supply unique temperatures for each zone but not 100% sure about this. Maybe someone else on this forum can confirm. If you are planning on using MQTT then another option could be to use a 3rd party temp sensor which publishes the temp to MQTT. The plugin can then subscribe to this and display the temp.

As for good installers, I used Fairbairns Heating & Cooling. I found them to be quite good.

@David_M @Mantorok - ok, so I found out what it is…

Had a new update for the HassOS come down this morning, and when I did the restart, whilst HomeBridge and the plugin came back online, the MQTT link DID NOT.

From the looks of the HomeBridge logs: https://pastebin.com/8ri30wns

Relevant sections -
This seems to be the culprit:
[9/14/2020, 8:35:22 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] Error: connect ECONNREFUSED 192.168.1.200:1883
at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1141:16) {
errno: ‘ECONNREFUSED’,
code: ‘ECONNREFUSED’,
syscall: ‘connect’,
address: ‘192.168.1.200’,
port: 1883
}

Followed shortly by :

[9/14/2020, 8:35:21 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] MqttService init
[9/14/2020, 8:35:21 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] MqttService connect

But the MQTT logs show NO connection from the Homebridge client.

I SUSPECT that when the system is rebooted, the MQTT broker hasn’t finished loading when HomeBridge goes to connect and so it fails. The Plug-in doesn’t register the failure properly and so it never tries to re-establish the MQTT link.

When I restart HomeBridge manually AFTER the system has fully restarted and once the MQTT Broker is already running, it connects flawlessly and works fine from that point forward.

Config: https://pastebin.com/2Q1rmZtt

Great work @Rusti-gotrage, I had a feeling it was something to do with the MQTT connection.

I’ll enhance the plugin to retry failed connections to the MQTT broker, similar to how it handles failed connections to the WiFi module.

1 Like

Thanks @Mantorok. I’ve lined up fairbairns for a quote tomorrow.

Would I be better off with 2 NC6s rather than a single NC7?

@nicp, I originally had an NC6 but found the display very difficult to read. My wife had the same issue. Once we upgraded to the NC7 Touch we haven’t looked back. It is pricey but for us it was worth it.

I believe the NC6 doesn’t supply the current temp to the WiFi module when in Single Set Point mode but it does in Multi. Again I’m not 100% sure about this.

Ask Fairbairns about the options including the ZonePlus kit, see what they recommend.

Version 3.0.8 of the plugin has been released. This version will retry connecting to the MQTT Broker if the connection previously failed.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! You have convinced me the NC7 is the way to go.

Did you push the update? Homebridge isn’t telling me my 3.0.7 need an update…?

@Rusti-gotrage, yes its definitely been published. See https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-rinnai-touch-platform

I was prompted by the Homebridge Config UI X that the update was available and updated it successfully.

Not sure what happened there - it wasn’t showing up on my end last night, even after restarting HomeBridge, but… it showed up this morning! So YAY!

All updated and running nicely - I’ll let you know if I notice anything quirky… :slight_smile:

Ta muchly, as always! :smiley:

Version 3.0.9 of the plugin has been released. It just updates the dependencies, one of which had a high severity vulnerability which affected MQTT.

2 Likes

So I just migrated my HA from a Pi to a VM, and it’s running great.

Installed Homebridge and have everything connected, but for some reason I now have issues setting the desired temperature?

[9/22/2020, 10:50:12 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] TCP Connection: Closed
[9/22/2020, 10:50:12 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] MQTT: Received: brivis/hvac/mode/set, Payload: off
[9/22/2020, 10:50:13 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] TCP Connection: Open
[9/22/2020, 10:50:15 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] Sending Command: N000017{"HGOM":{"OOP":{"ST":"F"}}}
[9/22/2020, 10:50:17 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] Command succeeded. Took 2002 ms
[9/22/2020, 10:50:17 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] MQTT: Publish: brivis/hvac/action/get, Payload: {"U":"off"}
[9/22/2020, 10:50:17 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] MQTT: Publish: brivis/hvac/mode/get, Payload: off
[9/22/2020, 10:50:17 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] MQTT: Publish: brivis/switch/fan/get, Payload: off
[9/22/2020, 10:50:22 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] TCP Connection: Closed
[9/22/2020, 10:50:30 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] MQTT: Received: brivis/hvac/temperature/set, Payload: 20.0
[9/22/2020, 10:50:31 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] TCP Connection: Failed. connect ECONNREFUSED 192.168.1.127:27847. Attempt 1 of 3
[9/22/2020, 10:50:32 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] Found: Rinnai Touch module [192.168.1.127:27847]
[9/22/2020, 10:50:32 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] TCP Connection: Failed. connect ECONNREFUSED 192.168.1.127:27847. Attempt 2 of 3
[9/22/2020, 10:50:33 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] Found: Rinnai Touch module [192.168.1.127:27847]
[9/22/2020, 10:50:33 AM] [RinnaiTouchPlatform] TCP Connection: Failed. connect ECONNREFUSED 192.168.1.127:27847. Attempt 3 of 3

State attributes show that Current Temp is null?

hvac_modes: off, heat, cool, fan_only
min_temp: 7
max_temp: 35
target_temp_step: 1
fan_modes: high, medium, low
current_temperature: null
temperature: null
fan_mode: high
friendly_name: Brivis Thermostat (MQTT)
supported_features: 9

My YAML:

climate:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: Brivis Thermostat (MQTT)
    modes:
      - "off"
      - "heat"
      - "cool"
      - "fan_only"
    fan_modes:
      - "high"
      - "medium"
      - "low"
    temperature_command_topic: "brivis/hvac/temperature/set"
    temperature_state_topic: "brivis/hvac/temperature/get"
    fan_mode_command_topic: "brivis/hvac/fan_mode/set"
    fan_mode_state_topic: "brivis/hvac/fan_mode/get"
    mode_command_topic: "brivis/hvac/mode/set"
    mode_state_topic: "brivis/hvac/mode/get"
    precision: 1

Am I missing something?

Hi @Hass10

The logs show you’re getting the ECONNREFUSED error. This happens when more than 1 client attempts to connect to the Rinnai module over TCP/IP

Did you have have the TouchApp running on your phone? Or was the plugin still running on the old Pi?

To fix you usually just need to restart the Rinnai module or your wifi router

No longer running on the Pi, and not running on my phone.

It only seems to fail when In set temp, I can turn the fan on/off no issue (hence including it in the log).

Already reset the router, will crawl up to the roof and reset the module itself