Rise (Topps T|iles) WIFI Thermostat for Underfloor Heating Integration [UK]

hi, I live in UK and have 2 x RISE Underfloor Heating WiFi Thermostats (link https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/fixing-finishing/underfloor-heating/thermostats/rise-smart-wifi-thermostat) which as I might suspect is some sort of generic chinese Smart wifi thermostat with local retailer branding.

It has app (horrible one…) and connect via wifi

I wonder if there is some intergration or any way to integrate those to HA.

I have some other thermostats for central heating from Hive, those have integration no problem, but the underfloor heating ones are not really seen by HA or I do not know which one to use.

any help would be really appreciated.

Hi,
What’s your electronics / networking skill level?

If no none has heard of the product (likely a no-name white-label), you need to take it apart safely, and look for clues like an ESP8266 or Tyua WLAN uP module. I’ve posted reverse engineering tips before, but above all, mains can kill so be careful and double check safe isolation!

There are lists of kit that has been reversed engineered which include photos of typical microprocesor modules:

Other than that, you could try sniffing the network upstream of the WLAN AP with something like Wireshark. There are then processes for trying to get a man-in-the-middle of the conversation.

On the other hand, it’s probably easier to dump the existing kit and buy something that is open and works.

As an Engineer with experience of reverse engineering, microprocessors and power electronics, I found it easier to replace a dumb electric radiator thermostat with a Shelly One relay module, and write my own control software using ESPhome and SlowPWM to control the device with HASS. Add a chrome LED button and a MK faceplate and the result can be both functional and nice.

James
If this helps, :heart: this post!

riiiiiiight

not entirely what I was looking for :smiley: but still - greatly appreciated. will have something interesting to read :slightly_smiling_face:

My networking skills are OK, but electronics not really and I am a bit reluctant to dismantle it… And I am more than sure that my soldering skills would be awful.

I treat it more as set it and forget it system, as I set up schedule and it is OK… pain becomes when you need to change it due to connection instability for whatever reason.
I will look for an alternative to those thermostats, as I believe it would be easier to have something more compatible with HA rather than hack it

There is no magic to resistive heating controllers - they just turn the power on and off, varying the timings. This makes replacing one off the shelf module with another off the shelf (but HASS compatible) module relatively easy.

The only issue could be if there is a temperature sensor buried under the tiles in grout. It’s probably a standard thermistor, but not something I’ve direct experience of (the Screwfix towel rail heater produces enough warmth).