Roku player not showing up?

Hi

I’m trying to use the Roku component to control my Plex PMP (Plex Media Player) running on NUC. That player supports IP roku protocol and I have been able already in past to control with other home automation systems ! I have declared it in config file with its IP but nothing shows up in front-end ! Any ideas ?
I’m obliged to do that considering the obsolete situation of the official Plex component that is not working fine with plex since a while… I have already installed the Tautulli component that allows me to do automations based on what’s happening on some of my plex players but it doesn’t allow any controls of it !

Thanks

Vincèn

Is UPNP enabled on your router?

Nope as I don’t want to mess my network with that crap thing ! it’s supposed to connect directly to the player I indicated by IP in config.yaml no ?

Unfortunately in my experience, you need to enable UPNP for the roku component to work, even with using the IP.

oki so activated UPNP in my router, restarted it, then restarted HA but still nothing shows up in frontend of ha :frowning: but if someone is able to undarstand that, here is the error showing up in logs of HA:

Error while setting up platform roku

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 129, in _async_setup_platform
    SLOW_SETUP_MAX_WAIT, loop=hass.loop)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/asyncio/tasks.py", line 400, in wait_for
    return fut.result()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/asyncio/futures.py", line 293, in result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 55, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/media_player/roku.py", line 56, in setup_platform
    new_roku = RokuDevice(host)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/media_player/roku.py", line 92, in __init__
    self.update()
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/media_player/roku.py", line 103, in update
    if self.roku.current_app is not None:
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/roku/core.py", line 262, in current_app
    resp = self._get('/query/active-app')
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/roku/core.py", line 172, in _get
    return self._call('GET', path, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/roku/core.py", line 192, in _call
    raise RokuException(resp.content)
roku.core.RokuException: b''

You still setting it by IP address? Try removing it

You mean completely remove the roku setup I did and just let autodiscover to find it ? was that previously and it didn’t find it ! That’s why I tried to force the setup of it !

No, you still need to include:

media_player:
  - platform: roku

but you don’t need to specify the IP address.

Still the same, same error in logs and nothing shows up in front end !! Looks like that player is not fully implementing Roku protocol :frowning:

No idea then, sorry :frowning:

Still thanks for help :wink: Will give a try again with Plex component to check if it’s usable again or not !

My Roku media player shows up but I also get this error. I’m using discovery.

2018-08-14 17:47:42 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Error while setting up platform roku
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 129, in _async_setup_platform
    SLOW_SETUP_MAX_WAIT, loop=hass.loop)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/tasks.py", line 358, in wait_for
    return fut.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/media_player/roku.py", line 56, in setup_platform
    new_roku = RokuDevice(host)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/media_player/roku.py", line 92, in __init__
    self.update()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/media_player/roku.py", line 103, in update
    if self.roku.current_app is not None:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/roku/core.py", line 262, in current_app
    resp = self._get('/query/active-app')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/roku/core.py", line 172, in _get
    return self._call('GET', path, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/roku/core.py", line 192, in _call
    raise RokuException(resp.content)
roku.core.RokuException: b''

It may work, but I loathe to get errors in my log so I’d like to track down the cause.

@mihalski Good luck to solve problem, I gave up here both on Roku and Plex components (Plex one has issues since ages and no working solution up now) and same with Roku one (Plex player PMP is Roku compatible but HA is unable to “see” it even if I declare it in HA config file :frowning: