Rollease Acmeda Automate Pulse hub integration

Hi there … I got 2 Rollease Acmeda blinds but so far hesitated to purchase more. On the specs for the Automate Pulse 2 they state “Smart Things” integration, which I assume is for Samsung SmartThings, however I can’t find anything anywhere. I currently use Smartthings for my Somfy Awnings, and 7 blinds powered by Axis through a wall mounted z-wave switch and zigbee to the Axis motors. Those 7 I’d like to replace plus integrate the 2 Rollease. Any insight / advise appreciated. Thank you

I’m in the process of implementing an HA integration on top of the library I’ve written. I’ll add it to a fork of the HA code base that those not running hass.io can use. Once it is of acceptable quality I’ll submit a pull request for it to be rolled into the main HA code base.

I’m not sure if it is possible to inject a custom integration into hass.io?

Hi Quentin, thanks for giving it a go and the feedback.
I’ve just pushed an update that will try and decode all messages and provides a bit more information about what it is doing.
Note that you need to:

1. issue the command “discover” to find any hubs, you should then hopefully see the message “Hub added to prompt”.
  2. if your hub is discovered, issue the command “connect”.

Let me know how you go, and send through the full console output if you can.

Nice work, Alan!-

My hub is now discovered, and when I connect, most of the update process completes, but it dies with a unicode error trying to parse the scene list.

I’ll raise it as a github issue with the full output. It’s possible I may get more of a chance to look at it over the weekend.

Quentin

Aha! It turned out to be an easy fix: I’ve sent you a pull request.

From the command line I can now list, open and close my blinds, and send them to a particular position.

Excellent work! And, unlike my solution, no wire-stripping needed!

Now we just need either a home assistant wrapper, or – the way I went – a gateway to MQTT which can be packaged as an add-on for HA, but could also be used in other systems…

I should be able to run it as a custom integration but can you give me some pointers on how to do this?
thanks!

Alan’s code is just the underlying library, at the moment, and a demo command-line utility.

Some more coding is needed to turn it either into an integration - Docs here, if you want to have a go - or an add-on.

Alan’s done all the difficult work, so it just needs this extra layer of wrapping.

My cruder version above which uses the serial interface was done as an add-on: a standalone program which uses MQTT to communicate with Home Assistant, and runs in a docker container. There are pros and cons to both methods.

FWIW, my system has been working nicely for many months now. The blinds close once the sun sinks a few degrees below the horizon in the evening, and open as we walk around the house in the morning. And I suppose mine is also using an officially-documented interface, even if it is one that uses RS485.

But the @atmurray solution has the big advantage of not needing a cable between your HA box and your Rollease hub, so it’ll be the best solution before too long.

Quentin, I initially used your plugin but then later studied your code as a starting point and created an ESPhome/NodeMCU to serial interface as my rPi was too far from all of the shades. It has worked well for many months so no need for any immediate change but this newest method does look interesting as it will eliminate one piece of hardware and possible point of failure.
Thanks again for everyone’s work on this.

1 Like

hey @Claas_Abraham, I found this when researching the Pulse Hub 2. I can’t confirm if the integration with SmartThings works but hopefully this is helpful
https://www.rolleaseacmeda.com/docs/default-source/au/smart-home-motorisation/smart-things/qrg_smart-things_instructions_system_pulse2.pdf?sfvrsn=1d50ea3c_6

Thank you, this was immensely helpful

Your link didn’t open but I found this in the meantime, which confirms the integration:

Thank you!

1 Like

Bother. I think my Pulse hub has died, just over a year after I got it, so it’s probably out of warranty.
It’s lost its knowledge of the blinds and doesn’t seem to respond to a factory reset. I’m back to using remotes for now :frowning:

Still need to confirm this, but it set me wondering about other options, and I found this thread about people trying (and failing) to record the Rollease radio signals.

But somebody did find the MTRF-DCIM-1C, which is a relay-controllable remote for a single Rollease channel…

Hadn’t seen that before. I could buy a few of those and I wouldn’t need to have another hub in the house calling back to China… :slight_smile:

Using the HomeKit integration, I was able to write some scripts to create some scenes.

For instance:

half_open_windows:
  alias: Open Windows Halfway
  sequence:
    - service: cover.set_cover_position
      data:
        entity_id: cover.front_winder_roller
        position: 37
      data:
        entity_id: cover.side_window_roller
        position: 50
      data:
        entity_id: cover.den_window_roller
        position: 49
      data:
        entity_id: cover.foyer_window_roller
        position: 48

open_all_windows:
  alias: Open All Windows
  sequence:
    service: cover.open_cover
    data:
      entity_id:
      - cover.front_winder_roller
      - cover.side_window_roller
      - cover.den_window_roller
      - cover.foyer_window_roller
1 Like

Thanks for the work trying to get this integrated into HA.

My Automation relies on the Acmeda connection to IFTTT which has not worked for a few months.

The most they will do is resync or reset the connection which will not fix my issue for some reason.

I tried integrating the hub into SmartThings but just get a server error and it doesn’t work. I’m trying from Australia though, and the setup process only shows the Automate Shades V2 hub as ‘devices available in other countries’.

I’ve used the HomeKit Controller option in Home Assistant to connect to the hub instead. Although I currently don’t have any blinds connected to test.

Shame the SmartThings integration didn’t work, the instructions seemed hopeful.
Not to matter, I’ve done the same as you; a HomeKit integration with Home Assistant. I have 11 roller blinds connected and working well with HA automation’s, all bar a few minor quirks here and there. Imagine it will work for you also

I also assume they’re exposed as cover entities in HA for manual control?

Yep, they are :slight_smile: Manual control is a bit limited. You can do up/down and the blind status can be a little slow to update. Looks like this;
manual control
@Michael_Griffin has done scripts, scenes and automation’s above. I’ve followed his lead and that’s how ours are controlled almost all the time. So far seems to be working well
i.e.

alias: Blinds - Lounge East - Close
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - event: sunset
    offset: 00:20:00
    platform: sun
  condition: []
  action:
  - data:
      position: 0
    entity_id: cover.rollease_shade_ihm
    service: cover.set_cover_position
1 Like

Yeah, I used scripts so that I can have easy access to the scenes, plus use automation.

Then, I can use the automations like this

- alias: Tilt shades before sunset
  trigger:
    platform: sun
    event: sunset
    offset: '-01:00:00' # 1 hour before sunset
  action:
    - service: script.tilt_windows
    - service: script.close_back_doors
1 Like

Very nice!

1 Like