Roomba Connectivity Broken

Did you try updating home assistant to the newest version? I saw some changes in the roomba component recently.

However all this will still not solve your problems. First you need to be able to connect to your roomba and get the BLID and password, as long as this doesn’t work it doesn’t make any sense to try to solve a problem with HA, which is related to the connection not working.
Did you try to get BLID and password from a fifferent machine than the one you installed home assistant on?

Yes, I am on .100.2.

So I just noticed there was an update to the getpassword library just after I posted this. So I used that…and now, I get the BLID/password! The BLID was the same as what I had previously, but the password was different.

BUT, I updated those, and still the same error flood in HA. So now, I’m guessing there was indeed some change that will require an update in HA.

Check other components that are throwing errors. Specifically maybe that first one for the TP-Link HS100. I’ve had instances in the past where the component I removed wasn’t the component causing the initial error but allowed me to troubleshoot by removing one platform at a time until the front end loaded.

So, looks like it’s just an update to the TLS version. I tried to make the same change in the home assistant source, but apparently I have no idea what I’m doing. After making the update (and re-enabling the Roomba config) I get “roomba is not a package”. So I’ve reverted…guess I’ll just have to wait and see if the devs get around to making the change to support the newest Roomba firmware.

I moved HA from Ubuntu to Windows and cannot connect to Roomba after this. Do anyone of your experts know if this is because the certificate directory is different in windows? By default it is /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt. I have checked my configuration several times and there is nothing wrong with my BLID or password, but Roomba remains unavailable. Thanks a lot to the one that can help out here.

Im having the same issue. MQTT roomba vacuum was working fine. In fact to well as it was clogging up my log to debug other issues. I commented it out of the configuration to clear things up. When I un-commented the broken pipe errors began. Setting continuous to False lets me start HA. Hopefully it will sort itself out with an update. This also doesnt work for me anymore https://github.com/NickWaterton/Roomba980-Python

Breifly alllowing the roomba to connect to the internet and connect the app fixed this issue for me. My BLID and password hadnt changed. setting Continuous to false was key to allow HA to grab the mqtt stream

Hrm, can you tell me any more? How did you connect your roomba to MQTT (or is that only for older vacuums)? I was using the direct component but haven’t been able to get it to work at all. I have not blocked my roomba from the internet and can still access it via the app so I’m not sure that part of your fix applies for me?

I really miss having roomba more integrated into my smart home…

1 Like
1 Like

I dont actually think letting the roomba connect to the internet helped. Holding down home on the roomba then immediately restarting HA appears to have done the trick

this only worked for a day or so, I did see some commits to the roomba git. Maybe they are working on a fix

Here is a workaround for the Roomba/HA issue: http://www.brandonclaps.com/?p=193

1 Like

This is great! It’s connected, I’ll have to run some tests to see if it’s actually getting updates, but at least it didn’t crash my Hass instance. Thanks!

Worst case we can script this, maybe.

Well, I spoke too soon. My Roomba ran on it’s usual schedule, but hass shows it as idle the whole time. So while it appears to connect and at least no longer crashes hass, it’s not fully working.

Maybe I’ll try redoing the Roomba setup now with this update in place…

I redid the BLID process, and indeed the password had changed. Put in the new password, restarted hass, ran the Roomba, and it is working! Thanks again, @S10XtremeNLow

I have solved the issues by migrating my HA to HASS.IO on a new Raspberry Pi4. The Roomba integration doen’t seem to work on a Windows PC.

Had an interesting issue the other day where all of the tasmota devices on the LAN suddenly stopped working…seems like the newest Roombas use MQTT to communicate and publish an _mqtt._tcp service on whatever LAN they are connected to. The tasmotas had mDNS discovery turned on, and when they went to renew their DHCP addresses they also found the Roomba MQTT broker, which replaced the manually configured address for Mosquitto on HomeAssistant and stopped all communication.

Took a few minutes to spot the problem - needless to say the addition of a new robot vacuum was not the first thing I jumped to as a cause.

I ran across this thread and thought I’d post this here in case it’s useful.

The link seems to be broken but I was curious what the fix was, since I’m facing Roomba integration issues. I was able to find an Internet Archive of the link here.

TL;DR:
The fix was to update Roomba python files to use TLS v2 instead of TLS v1 but that seems to have been fixed in HA core some time ago, so this fix won’t apply to anyone facing recent Roomba issues.

how did you solve the issue? is there a way to block the broker from roomba?

Just hard code the IP address into the Tasmota devices and turn off mdns