Roomba i7 support

Can someone help verify that Roomba i7 works with homeassistant?

I can’t seem to pull the BLID or password following the available documentation.

I’m able to detect the roomba via roomba.py but it isn’t pulling the relevant info.

I wish I had one to play with. If someone gets it working let me know. Our 960 is great but showing it’s age. A new one just might make the Christmas list if it works with Homeassistant.

Yes, this needs to be looked at.

1 Like

Nobody is interested in this?

I expected a lot of ppl would be getting the i7 for the holidays.

It is a great upgrade.

I found an updated username(blid)/pass using the quick start instructions below (updated 10/10/2018 for i7 support)
(worked on a mac w/ mojave 10.14.1 and python 2.7.15 (stock with latest mac updates ))

FIX: 3 steps to find username/password on i7

pip install git+https://github.com/NickWaterton/Roomba980-Python.git
roomba
cat ~/.config.ini

Quick explanation of lines

1. install using pip from the github repo

pip install git+https://github.com/NickWaterton/Roomba980-Python.git

2. quick start form of detecting roomba and finding blid/pass . it should give instructions during on how to turn on wifi on your roomba after you start the script with no arguments - just as “roomba”

roomba

3. show the results of the autodiscovery that it stored by default:)

cat ~/.config.ini

further instructions here

Been trying to get this from my i7, but once I put it in discovery mode, it errors. Any ideas? Been trying many methods to get this i7 blid.

Roomba (Roomba) IP address is: 192.168.0.150
Connection Error timed out
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/bin/roomba”, line 11, in
sys.exit(main())
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/roomba/main.py”, line 485, in main
Password(file=arg.configfile)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/roomba/password.py”, line 39, in init
self.get_password()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/roomba/password.py”, line 136, in get_password
wrappedSocket.send(packet)
File “/usr/local/Cellar/python@2/2.7.15_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ssl.py”, line 725, in send
v = self._sslobj.write(data)
ssl.SSLError: (‘The write operation timed out’,)

My 960 gave up the ghost last week. I’m going to order one of these i7’s. Any luck getting it to work with HA?

My i7+ will be here by Wednesday. I will update my results when I try.

1 Like

I got my i7 working with the instruction for getting the Blid/pwd above and then also creating a custom roomba component using NickWaterton’s roomba.py.

1 Like

Awesome, my i7 should be here tomorrow. lol

Grrrr, it still hasn’t shipped despite calling last friday and today. Grrrrrr . My floor is getting dirty and my wife is not liking that.

1 Like

Are you on the latest home assistant? Could you share your roomba.py on hastebin or something so I can take a look. Mine looks like it connects fine as the logs show me the status and stuff however my home assistant gui doesn’t come up when I have it enabled.

got my i7 today. I’m gonna let it learn the house and then start tying it into HA.

Success on the first try!!!

Nice to have’s for the new i7. I have no idea if iRobot’s interface supports these requests.

1. Since the I7 supports smart maps and room naming, it would be nice if you could specify which room to go clean.
  2. Empty bin button
  3. If I robot tells us where it is, I wonder if it also tells us which room it’s in. I use this component to turn on lights when the robot starts cleaning since it doesn’t like the dark. It would be nice if the component knew where the robot was so we could turn on lights in that room without turning them on everwhere for the hour or two the robot is cleaning. (this wouldn’t be necessary if iRobot would give the thing headlights like I have suggested to them numerous times).
  4. Access to realtime map of cleaning progress.
  5. warnings when robot needs maintenance (whether it be an error, or time to replace the filter or something like that).
1 Like

What version of home assistant are you on and which steps did you follow? I am having nothing buy trouble getting mine in.

I’m on HA 0.86.2
Ubuntu 17.10 - artful

I basically followed @makanikai’s instructions earlier in this thread.

from my home account (not from the homeassistant user’s account)

sudo pip install git+https://github.com/NickWaterton/Roomba980-Python.git

First make sure your roomba is on the charging station and is connected to your local house network.

roomba
Press the home key for 2 or 3 seconds, till you hear a tone then quickly press enter on your computer. It should come back with a bunch of information in the config.ini file. { note his directions have a .config.ini file mentioned, when I did this, there was not a “.” in front of the file, it was just config.ini }
{this assumes you are in the same directory where you ran the roomba program earlier. Again he prefaced it with a ~/ which directed it back to the home directory of whatever user you were running as. I am not sure if that is needed or not, I ran it from the home directory so I can’t confirm or deny if the ~/ is needed }
cat config.ini

Then I put the information in the configuration.ini file as follows.

- platform: roomba
  name: Spotty
  host: 192.168.4.133
  username: {long string of letters and numbers}
  password: {looks like :1:1234567890:C72d9C9ak3X914x7} . 

What exactly are you seeing?

Mine is for sure connecting to my Roomba so I know my ID and password is correct. In my home-assistant.log file I see it connected to my Roomba and I can see details as to what it currently doing and the RSSI, etc. Whenever I have it enabled though my Home Assistant GUI will not come up. I also experienced a weird issue when I upgraded from 0.85 to 0.86 where it took FOREVER to upgrade. I am wondering if there is something weird in my setup that is now causing pip upgrade issues or something. I tried nuking my database but that didn’t fix anything. Not really sure what else to try…

Did you create a custom component for Roomba.py to overwrite the default one that comes with HA?

That is what I did to get it working on my HA, Start, Pause, Home works. Haven’t tried other things.

when you say you have roomba enabled, do you mean running a job, or just started HA with roomba configured in the configuration.yaml file? Are you using lovelace for your interface or are you using the old interface? I don’t remember 85 to 86 being particularly long, how long did it take for you? Are you running on a pi or something else? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the lay of the land.

I used to have a custom component for it, but I went away from it a while back. I checked a few minutes ago just to make sure.

I have tried it both without and with a custom component that has REQUIREMENTS = ['https://github.com/NickWaterton/Roomba980-Python/zipball/master#roomba==1.2.3']

By enabled I mean having the config in my configuration.yaml file for roomba. I have been using Lovelace since it came out. I don’t know for sure how long the upgrade took as I finally let it run over night.

I run homeassistant in a venv on an Ubuntu VM. It should have plenty of resources.