Root partition getting filled up and supervisor not starting

Yesterday I started an attempt on my Debian 11 server (running my HA supervised installation and several other Docker containers) to free up some space on my / partition .
The reason for this is that my entire / partition got filled up with data I cannot identify and that I want to get rid of.
The hassio_supervisor container won’t start anymore because it says that there is not enough space left on the drive.

cd / and df -h return the following results:

grafik

the entries named toshibas are two 2TB Toshiba HDDs in a ZFS file system. They have nothing to do with Docker as they are just used for a samba share. (-> they can be ignored for now.)

The root partition is on my 240GB Kingston A400 SSD (labeled SDA1) and I have never had problems with it since yesterday.

Something on there fills up 181GB of my 201GB on SDA1 and I don’t know what it is.

This is a screenshot of the Debian drive usage tool:

After clicking on that:

Only 25GB occupied??

What’s going on here and how can I fix this?
docker system prune didn’t help.

By the way, this is the error from the hassio_supervisor docker container logs:

I have know having the same problem.

I am going to look at how root is setup. if LVM maybe just increase the size of volume etc.

Let me know if you got this solved LTM Leo

thanks

1 Like

Sadly I still have no fix… To get my system up and runnning again I had to remove / move a lot of backup files from HomeAssistant (because this was the part of my system that had the most accessible big files). The git pull then ran through and I got Home Assistant to start.
Since then I didn’t touch any of this because I wanted to save myself the headache…

Take a look at how much storage is being used in /var/log.

I have been seeing a ton of log writes there, and my drive was filled yesterday with ~28GB used within /var/log it appears that the ZwaveJS us writes debul level logs to messages, syslog and user.log and they each have some other set of log messages going to them as well, I saw influxDB writing to user.log for example)

I run a supervised installation, but being as these seem to be from addons, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were causing issues on OS as well