Router recommendations

Ubiquiti announced a new router today.

1 Like

Any information about openwrt compatibility?

I don’t think you can run openwrt on it, I don’t see why you would either.

1 Like

To avoid any vendor locks.

I had my mileage and I’m not investing in hardware anymore that doesn’t allow me to install own firmware/software.

It’s not only to risk that a manufacture decides after selling me hardware to start charging for formerly free functions but also to avoid trashing good hardware because the vendor calls in EOL…

The whole idea by running Unifi gear is using their software.

Says who? All people I know personally owning unifi hardware have openwrt installed on them…

AFAIK this is (was?) a usp of unifi hardware?

Which routers from the Unifi line support openwrt? I’ve only seen APs support it.

No idea, I don’t own any unifi gear. But as far as the people owning such hardware they all run openwrt on it and they bought the hardware exactly because of that

not routers then I assume.

3 Likes

the MT7621 SoC with 5 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet ports and different features:

• PoE output(s) (Passive 24V)

• 1 port (ER-X)

• 5 ports (ER-X-SFP, EP-R6)

• PoE input (Passive 24V)

• 1 port (ER-X, EP-R6)
  • SFP module (ER-X-SFP, EP-R6)

• Outdoor case (EP-R6)

The EdgeRouter X-SFP (ER-X-SFP) and the EdgePoint R6 (EP-R6) are hardware compatible with OpenWrt

https://openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/edgerouter_x_er-x_ka

But still dis recommend it, ubiquity is linux based and can be completely configured using cli :wink:

1 Like

The edgerouter @aceindy just posted sounds like a router supported by openwrt.

So I assume you are wrong in that matter.

No, Edgerouter is not in the Unifi range. To clarify: Ubiquiti is the company, Unifi in one of the product ranges, Edgerouter is another line. The Unifi software is for the corresponding product range.

Unifi software looks like this if you are interested:

I love my Unifi infrastructure: I created a little SME-grade network infrastructure with different zones and many, many firewall rules.
Unifi Network Application is running in a docker container.

be warned: I was overwhelmed by the many settings. As good as it is, it definitely needs some love from time to time. It is not just plug and play.

1 Like

I convinced Verizon to swap routers and the problem went away. For a week. Now I am looking at other routers, like Netgate. Is it really worth $600? Also, why do you need M.2 storage in a router??

Sold out.

My problem is back even though Verizon gave me a new router. So I am back in the market…

If I buy the Edgerouter, can I lean on you for help setting it up?

Never set up the Edgerouter, but I assume it’s not to difficult so sure, but I can’t promise I’ll be available for it when/if you need it :slight_smile:

Netgate sells a variety of routers ranging in price from $189 (Netgate 1100) up to $3,898 (Netgate 1541) . I’m guessing your were looking at the 4100 - nice but the 2100 ($349) could probably do the job. These routers can do much more than the Verizon router because of the packages that can be installed on the Netgate appliance / pfSense.

Since Verizon replaced your router and the issue still exists, I would do some more troubleshooting before committing to a new router. Specifically:

1. Verizon diagnostics done by Verizon
  2. Check / replace all cabling between ONT and Verizon router
  3. Check / replace all cabling between Verizon router and any wired switches and access points.
  4. Remove individual devices to see if that makes the problem go away.

etc.

Of course using a new router would be a good test but it could also mask an existing problem.

Thanks for your input. Of your suggestions,
#1 is useless as their diagnostics say that nothing is wrong. Most of my 2.4GHz devices connect just fine.
#2, 5GHz and Ethernet have no problems. My issue is limited to the 2.4GHz WiFi. Some devices will not connect. Rebooting the router just shuffles which devices won’t connect. A cable problem wouldn’t be so specific to just affect 2.4GHz WiFi.
#3, The only AP is the Verizon extender. Since devices do connect through the extender, and when connected are reliable, a cable issue is unlikely.
#4, With almost 100 devices, that could get tedious. Particularly when most are not easily accessible. Like WiFi wall switches, or smart switches in an outlet box (Shelly, Sonoff, etc), or outside cameras.

I do have an old Linksys WRT54G that I will set up to replace he Verizon router to see if the problem persists.

I just ran a network IP scan and I am beginning to wonder if the Verizon router has difficulty with more than 100 IP devices? (The IP scan reports all IPs on the network whether Ethernet, 5 GHz WiFi or 2.4 GHz WiFi).

To be on the safe side before you go buying the Edgerouter, you are aware that this router does not do WiFi, right? You would need access points as well.

Yes. Ironic that the APs cost more than the router. There are also six different AP devices on their website, so some research into what the differences are would be needed. Their least expensive AP is out of stock.