RPi 3 B+ - 32bit or 64bit?

Are you saying GPIO doesn’t work on that? Have you tried?

It is not working for me on there… but I could be doing something wrong. Inside of Home Assistant I launched Node-RED where I have a dashboard switch controlling a GPIO PIN and that doesn’t work. Meaning the GPIO is not set high when the switch is turned on. Is there some more troubleshooting steps I should take?

When I issue “ls -lah /sys/class/gpio/” I don’t see the GPIOs I want to control. Is there something I have to do to tell HA that I want to use specific pins in Node-RED?

I thought we were talking home assistant?

1 Like

A bit more researching and it looks like a problem with Node-RED on HA. Seems I cannot use the Raspberry Pi section rpi gpio out and instead I have to configure GPIO in HA and then have Node-RED switch the value on that. I found that on Setting GPIO output from NodeRed is broken?.

So, I cannot say if GPIO works on HA with 64 bit or not. Since apparently I have to start from the beginning with my configuration.

I guess HA and Node-RED are not as tightly integrated as I had hopped. Once I know if GPIO will work on 64 Bit HA I will update this thread.

Thanks for all the info!

That is not a “problem” with Node Red or the NR integration with HA. It is exactly how it works.

Node Red can call services in home assistant. That is what it is suggested by that post you pointed to. Again, this is how it is designed to work.

I am not sure I am up to the task of configuring GPIO in HA. I have configured MY configuration.yaml file with the code (pasted below). But now what? I don’t see any articles that show how to work with it beyond that. Should something show up in entities or devices or do I still need to do something else? Because I am not seeing anything new in entities or devices.

Example configuration.yaml entry

switch:

• platform: rpi_gpio
    ports:
    17: Speaker Relay

Have you restarted HA after changing configuration.yaml? (You need to)

Have you looked in developer tools | states? That is where you will find the switch entity. It will probably be something like switch.speaker_relay

I restarted the supervisor after making that update to configuration.yaml. Is that right or do I need to reboot the entire pi?

I just checked in developer tools | states and I do not see anything with switch or speaker or relay in the name there. :frowning:

No, home assistant, not the supervisor.

Configuration|server controls - check configuration, if that passes click restart.

Thanks so much @nickrout for sticking with me on this. The configuration shows as valid and I’ve restarted HA. I’ll keep you posted.

YES! That was the ticket! I now see switch.speaker_relay and I was able to add it to a card on my HA dashboard and I can toggle the relay on/off from there.

This conclusively shows that GPIO does work with HA on a Raspberry Pi 4 with 8 GB RAM running on the 64 Bitt HA OS!

Thanks for all your help @nickrout you really helped me out with this one!

1 Like

Its OK we all need help to start with. All the best with your HA journey!

1 Like

So returning to the initial question and one of the statements made long time ago…

What´s the current status? I guess 64 bit is fully supported as it´s listed without any notices or warnings (besides GPIO support) on the official setup instructions.

The ‘recommended’ has been removed from the 32 bit version.
So you are free to use either, with equality (equinimity even ??? :rofl: )
So if your ‘need’ requires 64 bit or you have a Pi4b (4 or 8 GB) I’d go with the 64

Did we ever establish that GPIO pins can be monitored and/or set in 64 bit?

Yes we did. RPi 3 B+ - 32bit or 64bit?

1 Like

Whats the current status? Does HA run faster on the Raspberry Pi 3B+ if i install the 64 Bit version? Are there any benefits compared to 32 Bit version? I dont really need GPIO Pins i only need USB functionallity for my CC2531 for zigbee… Any recommendation on this?
Thanks!

1 Like

Prospective new user and like others would prefer to get it right from the start…

Rpi4 4gb, need GPIO for an I2C lux sensor but would prefer 64bit version (I assume it would be better?)

But download page for image still states

• [Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (1 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB model) 32-bit](32-bit is required for GPIO support)
  • [Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB model) 64-bit](64-bit is required for 8 GB model)

Then it says earlier it has been fixed and the mention of GPIO in 32bit had been removed.

Confused :crazy_face:

I had problem with my rPi 3+ and the 64bit version about 2 weeks ago, and I installed the 32bit again.
I think there was not enough RAM memory and the rPi was freezing.

which page says this?