RPi 3 B+ - 32bit or 64bit?

I saw on the download page that the 32bit version is recommended. I’m curious as to why.

1 Like

because 64 bit is still experimental.

1 Like

64 bit is still experimental?
I want to setup new instance and I’m wondering which version to choose.

I don’t know.

32 bit for Raspberry Pi.

There are some thing’s that don’t work with the 64bit image. The GPIO for one.

Yes, I want to use PI B3.
I didn’t know that GPIO doesn’t work on 64 bits. IS it a known issue? Could You post a link to the corresponding issue?

thank You :wink:

Just wondering has any run into an issue with the 64 & 32 bit image lately. I can’t seem to get it working it seem like it’s corrupted…

I use 32 bit on my Rpi 3, I don’t know of any advantages of running 64 bit so 32 bit works great for me.

In order to use 32bit hassio image. Should I pick raspberry Pi 2gb or less or can I go for 4gb version?

As you are talking about 4 gb I also assume you are talking about the pi 4
There is a known issue the the pi 4 usb ports, so I hope you don’t want to use an aeotec z-wave stick or you also have to use a USB 2.0 (not 3.0) USB hub

has this been fixed?

OMG! You’re telling me I cannot use my Raspberry Pi 4 8GB with GPIO pins on HA? There is NO end to the hardware that this “free” software forces me to purchase!

What is the latest Raspberry Pi that I can use that will work with everything? I don’t to purchase more useless hardware and would apricate any input. I need a Pi that will work with directly connected GPIO and I2C devices.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for being so positive in your first post.

Have you followed the issue linked above by @tom_l? It indicates to me that this is probably fixed.

It was closed by stale bot. Thus, unlikely to have been fixed.

Yeah… it appears the problem has not been fixed, just ignored. It looks like I cannot use Raspberry Pi 4 8GB for GPIO monitor/control because the 8 GB RAM model has to run a 64 bit OS. What should I run, Raspberry Pi 4 with less RAM or A Raspberry Pi 3?

Thanks!

Yeah but the gpio problem was stated to be fixed upstream by 0.70 of the underlying library. rpi_gpio setup dependencies fails · Issue #15476 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

Also 0.70 is a requirement of this integration, hence my assumption it is fixed. core/homeassistant/components/rpi_gpio/manifest.json at 5164a18d53146ce1d26efc20cd99008e80e0def8 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

1 Like

So there is a fix? If so, how do I install it? I installed HA with hassos_rpi4-64-5.9.img from https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/.