RPI 4 + Frigate + Coral TPU not detected

I have an RPI4 using an SSD through USB3 (if that makes a difference). I also have Frigate (Full access ) installed with protection off. The Coral USB device connected to the other usb 3.0 port (i’ve tried all the others too). If it makes any difference the CORAL TPU has a white light on.

My top level config for Frigate is

detectors:
  coral:
    type: edgetpu
    device: usb

No matter what I try i can not get Frigate to recognise the device. I get the following error in Frigate logs.

No EdgeTPU was detected. If you do not have a Coral device yet, you must configure CPU detectors.

My previous CPU config worked fine so I can only assume the CORAL TPU is the problem and it not being picked up by HA OS.

Anyway to test the device is being attached to the Core RPI OS? In the hardware part of HA I can’t see any other USB device present. So I assume its not connected.

All help is much appreciated.

we often see issues with supplying enough power to the coral, it is recommended to use a powered USB hub with the coral

So I got a usb 3.0 powered hub and it’s not made a difference. I’d try and login as root via SSH to see the usb connections but I’ve forgotten my password for root. Anyone know how to reset it when you’re using a SSD so can’t yank the SD card.

WOW just wow, the problem was the factory cable. Changed it and it works fine. I have it plugged in to the USB 3.0 port above the SSD extension from the Argon case for those that have similar setups. CPU of the RPI i’ve got down to 24% which I can live with. Without the TPU it was running at 80%.

2 Likes

How many cameras are you running? FPS and resolution?

7 camera at around 7fps 1080p. But now on a dedicated device. The rpi couldn’t hack it. But HA has an add-on that links the two devices together so they appear as one

1 Like

I have only 2 cameras and a coral. I suspect I might fiddle with resolution fps to see whether I can make the Pi work

thanks, exactly the same issue. had a headache for two days, read your comment, changed the cable, immidiately works again.

1 Like

Same for me, so many thanks for solving it before me !

1 Like

Faulty cable here as well! Thank you!

Excuse me did you used to have everything on the raspberry pi? I mean…

I have a RBPi 4 with docker (HA, Node Red, Frigate, Samba, Pi-Hole, Z2M, Mosquitto, etc) all these containers doesn’t cosume much of memory or CPU but when frigate is detecting (4 cameras) the RBPi freezes and has to be manually rebooted.

Had you experience that?