Rpi alternative

I’m currently running on an Odroid C2+ but I’m about to migrate it over to my Odroid Cloudshell 2. It’s a dual drive NAS enclosure running SATA over USB3 and uses the Odroid XU4Q as a head. Im running a 16gb EMMC module for the OS and HA will run from the SATA drives. The XU4Q is a quad core SBC with 2GB RAM, GigE, 2 USB3 ports, and 1 USB2 port. The enclosure backplane also sports an LCD display showing drive spance and OS health (using scripts provided by the manufacturer). You also have an HDMI port should you need a display.

There’s more options than that. Take a look at the Odroid offerings. They don’t have quite as much following as the Rpi but they offer much more capable boards and you aren’t slave to SD cards. The Cloudshell 2 will run you a little over $100 (not including drives) but it’s a full raid enclosure giving you RAID 0,1,5 or JBOD functionality. The HC1 is a smaller board based on the same CPU as the CS2 but in a smaller form factor with SATA port on board and heatsink mount that holds a 3.5" disk. The Odroid C2+ is the same price and 99% the same form factor as the Rpi but has double the RAM, faster cores, and GigE, however no on board wifi or BT.

I’m about to migrate from a C2+ and Dlink NAS to an Odroid Cloudshell 2 which is based on the Xu4Q. The system is up and running, I just need to get HA installed and running.

After following this thread for the last few days, I have some questions. I have been running my HA on a pi3. Starting to have troubles with it. Thought I would upgrade but need some more opinions. I have used Odroids in the past and are great, my Nextcloud server ran on one for 3 years, though I recently put it on a dell that I found for $60.

What are the pros and cons of putting HA on another unit like the Wyse or Beebox as described.
What software is being used as opposed to hass.io, raspian, etc.
I am in a quandary as what level to take it to because of my not noob nor expert experience.

@cmgreenman and @carltonb I moved my db and log files off to a separate drive as @chairstacker suggested after the last crash, hoping to buy me some time to evaluate which route should I upgrade my Pi.

As I mentioned, I like Pi’s vast OS and online support and has hardware like GPIO and bluetooth built-in, so form-factor and hardware-wise, ODROID, to me, is the next step up in the SBC path.
I need to do some research on, if I upgrade to mini PC/NAS, how to get functions like RF control, BT, etc., in HA.

Here’s some more info. First off, the Odroid boards run Ubuntu, Armbian, etc… so from an OS standpoint they work the same as with the RPI. on my C2+ I’m running a HUSBZB-1 USB stick for Z-wave and Zigbee. Since it’s my central server for several things I have it connected to my network core on a GigE switch so I don’t need wifi. The Xu4Q in my Cloudshell 2 has 2 USB3 ports and 1 USB2 port compared to the 4 USB2 on an RPI or C2+. The nice thing about the CS2 is it provides hardware RAID so no need to mirror your drives manually over USB. The CS2 also provides an IR transceiver if needed. If you need more USB ports you can always tag on a USB3 or USB2 hub.

Oh, I should note that with the Cloudshell 2, the raid backplane uses one of the 2 USB3 ports. You can still use a hub and tuck it inside. The case allows for cables to be routed in and out. In fact there’s no bottom.

Indeed you can, I’m doing just that and in the process of moving all my other RPi’s to SSDs. If you are not concerned about silence, the WD PiDrives work great as well.

Nice!

I have an SSD I’m intending on using (out of my macbook pro). I’m just waiting for Hassio-os to be released. Currently using a USB stick.

If you don’t mind me asking how much was “super-cheap”?

I am also using a RPI 3 and had the same problem.
I moved the operating system to an old hard drive that I had. You still need the SD card fat partition for boot, but the entire operating system is on the hard drive.
Instructions are on the PI Org website.The upgrade only cost me an SATA to USB enclosure for about $9. The process of moving the OS to the HDD took less than one half hour,
With no writes happening to the SD it should last the rest of your life.

You mean modifying “root=partuuid=[usb drive partuuid]” line in the boot partition cmdline.txt?
Should have remember that when I moved the RPi3 db/log files off to separate drive, I did that to get my other RPi2 to “boot” with USB.
I do have spare laptop hard drives and USB adapters laying around, adding this in my to-do list.
Thanks

You need to do that and modify /etc/fstab to tell it where the file system root is.
I used rsync to copy the file system to the hard drive mounted at /mnt.

I’ll definitely look up the full instruction again, thanks for the pointers.
Would you have the rsync options handy to copy the whole system to the mounted hard disk? Last time I tried, messed up the file permissions and links.

It’s all here.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44177

If you are rebuilding, do the transfer to disk first.

Great, thanks.

I had an PCengines board running with FreeBSD for about 12 years and it has never failed me. Now upgraded to their APU2 platform. For my home automation I want stability as the $WifeAcceptanceFactor is crucial for it’s success.

APU2 still boot from SD card?

I’m rocking an old Xserve, https://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-XSERVE-A1279-2x-INTEL-XEON-E5520-2-26GHz-3GB-RAM-NO-DRIVES/232714994723?hash=item362ee50423:g:KoYAAOSwaadavSMd

Definitely not for everyone but extremely stable with ecc ram and enterprise architecture… Plus its my webserver/storage server/dns server/mail server

You shouldn’t need this - I don’t

If you want to run hassio off a USB drive then see here USB Boot on Raspberry Pi 3 - #37 by xbmcnut

Or for moree step-by-step instructions I did a blog post here with screenshots here.

1 Like

Only the Pi 3 can get by without it.