Rpi alternative

you are using a Pi 3 according to the post i was replying to.

Youā€™re right, I could have gone without the SD.

It has an mSata drive. Read-only boot from an SD card is possible, but why bother? :slight_smile:

Hi mf_social, would you mind sharing your Wyse model number please? I have been looking on eBay for something that is Intel based so that I can rebuild a Docker stack with containers that are built for i386 instead of trying to make this work with armhf builds for the RPi that never gets updated. Thanks

Mineā€™s the non-wifi (if thatā€™s not a different model anyway) D50D. :+1:

Sorry, didnā€™t see this post before - Ā£35 :+1:

Iā€™m also thinking of moving my HA from RPi3 to other Linux based mini pc due to issue with SD card wear and tear.

Iā€™m wondering has anyone tried this China made mini PC known as VNOPN K800?

https://m.newegg.com/products/2X4-002B-00018

It has Intel CPU, more ram, built in battery backup, 32GB eMMC storage, Gigabit ethernet, WiFi and Bluetooth.

I am also thinking of moving HA from RPI. So far i like dell wyse (donā€™t know which model to go for) or also checked Acer Veriton VL4620G. Anyone has any more cheaper options with less power consumption.

Looking at wyseā€™s myself but unsure on model. Few d90d7 boxes going cheap on eBay and a z90d7 but trying to figure out how they compare boost wise to the rpi3 Iā€™m currently using

If your not after more cpu power, it is possible to boot the raspberry pi off a usb device (such as an ssd or spinning hdd)

Andreas Spiess has a video on youtube where he tests a few different setups.

maybe a rock64 also has an eMMC storage chip and is much cheaper and power friendly and up to 4gb RAM.

1 Like

I think the RPi 3 runs HA fantastically and I have a LOT of automations and components. I too had issues with the durability of SD cards, but about a year ago I bought an industrial grade SD. Havenā€™t had any issues since then.

https://www.mouser.com/new/Swissbit/swissbit-industrial-SD-memory/

I am looking in to a replacement of my pi. The odroid xu4 looks very promising. Does someone knows if the gpio connectors works the same way as with the pi and works with home assistant? I currently use the gpio on the raspberry with HASSbian in a virtual environment but want to use it with a odroid perhaps.