Rpi4 2GB + USB SSD doesn't work

Some months ago I installed hassio on a USB SSD without any problem (external SSD enclosure with independent power supply and a Samsung SSD 128GB).

Nowadays I’d like to prepare a redundant system (2’nd rpi4, USB SSD, zigbee2mqtt coordinator),
A have the same SSD enclosure as the living system, The SSD is a Kingston 120GB drive.
The image was written without error. I could see on the TV, that the Linux boot sequence was started, but there are some fault warning lines during boot and the HA doesn’t work. Unfortunately, I couldn’t see exactly what is the problem, because the booting sequence run fast (at least on the line indicating an error), more precisely after the error line the terminal windows switch to HA boot screen, but the supervisor hasn’t started. Maybe it’s file system error.
I bought another enclosure and SSD (Gigabyte 120GB), but the result is the same.

Is the ssd plugged into a usb 3.0 or 2.0. My previous setup would only work if plugged into a usb 2.0 ( StarTech.com USB 3.1 to 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Adapter with a Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA ssd).

My Argon works with usb 3.0 ( Kingston A400 240G Internal SSD M.2 2280 SA400M8/240G and Argon ONE M.2 Case).

My previous setup would only work if plugged into a usb 2.0 ( StarTech.com USB 3.1 to 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Adapter with a Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA ssd).

Oh crap. I just ordered this StarTech.com USB 3.1 to 2.5". Do you think it is the same one you got? Hoping to use the usb 3.0

I am planing to get his 240GB SDD which comes with it’s own cable. Maybe this will work with the usb 3.0

My Argon works with usb 3.0 ( Kingston A400 240G Internal SSD M.2 2280 SA400M8/240G and Argon ONE M.2 Case).

With these you are able to use the same Startech cable connected the usb 3.0 port??

The star tech and the Crucial did not work with the usb 3.0 only with the 2.0, although it should have, it did work from a PC, but not a RPi 4 2gb.

The Argon case holds the ssd inside the case and has a built in usb to ssd converter, it does work on usb 3.0 Argon M.2 case

1 Like

Yes, you’ve got a point there. Than you for your help

My live system run on USB3 (Axagon case, Samsung SSD) perfectly, so I always try my 2’nd system on USB3 (Axagon case, Kingston SSD), but it hasn’t worked. After that, I bought a Kolink case and Gigabyte SSD. The 'Kolink case looks the same as the Axagon case, only the Logo is different (The internal electronics are the same).

Today, I flashed the Hassio image on Gigabyte SSD (Kolink case) and I plugged it into USB2 and the system started well.

After that, I shutdown the system, and I plugged it from USB2 to USB 3 and the system started without error.

Recap The 1’st boot was on USB2 and the 2’nd boot was USB3 and the system has run for 15 minutes.

Do you think the system will be stable on USB3?

If you can boot it several times, then it should be okay. I would still keep go backups off of the system (thumb drive etc.)

Ez lenne a backup rendszer