Rtl_433 installation

I didn’t use the auto discovery as it will pull in every device in range and create sensors. As it is I picked up several tyre pressure monitoring sensors I do not want.

rtl_433 logs doesn’t say anything about MQTT??

Mosquitto broker is up and running. Although I didn’t do any configuration.

I think this is NOT needed as logs says

s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully started
[15:25:11] WARNING: **rtl_433 now supports automatic configuration** and multiple radios. The rtl_433_conf_file option is deprecated. See the documentation for migration instructions.
Starting rtl_433 -c /config/config/rtl_433.conf

Hi all. I have followed your advice(s) and got rtl_433 running on HA via the Add-on. And it is picking up the rain gauge in the garden - all good. I did also install the partner add-on rtl_433 MQTT Auto Discovery and configured it to talk to my MQTT server and that works too - log file no errors and connected to MQTT server.

However the rtl_233 add-on does not seem to be passing the discovered rain meter reading to rtl_433 MQTT Auto Discovery and then on to HA MQTT. The rtl_433 MQTT Auto Discovery log just shows connection info on MQTT but no sent data to it. And looking at the MQTT integration there are no new devices or entities.

Does anyone know what i may have missed on the config? I am so close!! Thanks for any help you can give me.

1 Like

I have RTL_433 running on a RPi 0W and sending data to HA via MQTT. My dashboard shows the Temp, Humidity for each sensor. I know that if I click on the temp, I can see the last time data was received. Is there a way to show this on the card that shows the temp so I can see at a glance when the sensor updated?

I have several 433MHz Nexus-thermometers all over my house and outside.
The problem is that some of them works flawlessly but some has clarly weak signal issues.

Is it possible to pull SNR and/or RSSI values to detect the received signal levels?

{"model":"Nexus-TH","id":114,"channel":1,"battery_ok":1,"temperature_C":11.3,"humidity":80,"protocol":"Nexus, FreeTec NC-7345, NX-3980, Solight TE82S, TFA 30.3209 temperature/humidity sensor","rssi":-53,"duration":856000}

On my OpenMqttGateway runing RTL on esp32 Heltec it does show rssi but not on Rtl-433 addon with an RTL-SDR dongle.

{"time":"2023-10-24T18:26:50.671507+0100","model":"Nexus-TH","id":114,"channel":1,"battery_ok":1,"temperature_C":11.2,"humidity":80}

If you are having problems with getting signal from some devices perhaps you could improve your antenna. What are your using?

Well…that’s why I want to see the RSSI…to test an antenna. Now I have a self made dipole…and it works well. The RSSI is more for experimental usage. To test different antennas and placements.

Also, how to activate debug logging to rtl_433?

Looking again at the Heltec esp32 I wonder is the RSSI shown the reception between the ESP32 and the WIFI network rather than the 433 transmitter and the ESP32 .

What does your config file look like? I’ve got

hop_interval 60 frequency 315.00M frequency 915.00M
convert si
protocol 110

However, when I try to start RTL_433 the add in immediately stops with an error

I decided not to frequency hop. The problem with frequency hopping is that it is on one frequency for 60 seconds (in your case) and then the other for 60 Seconds. If a signal comes in on the “off” frequency you miss it. I solved my specific situation with hardware that shared the same frequency. My alternative inexpensive solution would have been to have two RTL/SDR usb dongles, one on each frequency.

Thanks, thought that might be the case. I can pick up a few weather sensors and car pressure tires, but not sure which are which just yet. Really need to do this in the middle of the desert or a farrady cage.

Do you also use RTLAMR2MQTT to read your meters or just RTL_433 for weather stations / tire pressure?

I got the “RTL_433 (next)” addon to show RSSI and singnal to noise ratio.
But opposite to OMG RSSI is in a 0-10 dB range not -10 to -100. :thinking: