Run HASS.IO on VMWARE ESXi 6.5

Hi there people!

Is there someone who can share some info on installing and configuring hass.io on ESXi Hypervisor, let’s say Ubuntu Server 17.04 VM?

Following these steps leads to successful installation…

I can access UI at the address http://<192.168.99.xxx>:8123/states …

My problem is making Samba add-on to run properly?!

Log output:

become_local_master_browser: Starting to become a master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 172.30.32.1

Samba name server HASSIO is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 172.30.32.1

ESXi is on 192.168.99.xxx network so I’m not sure this 172.xxx IP belongs to Docker or something and is that a problem?

I’m on Win 10 Pro x64 and I cannot find shared folders anywhere…

Anyone?

Thanks

Probably your network interface is ens160 not eth0.
You can check with ifconfig command.

You need to change in the Samba settings in hass.io:

{
“workgroup”: “WORKGROUP”,
“name”: “hassio”,
“guest”: true,
“map”: {
“config”: true,
“addons”: true,
“ssl”: false,
“share”: true,
“backup”: true
},
“username”: “”,
“password”: “”,
"interface": "ens160"
}

Thanks,

actually, I have found (thanks to you) :slight_smile: that my network ID is

ens192

, so it’s working now!

simple #ifconfig in the console shows the ID :man_facepalming:

Problem solved.

This installer does not work for me. I am using Ubuntu Server 16.04.3 LTS. I believe the issue is related to how you show versions of packages. It can’t find any of the prerequisites or continue because of this. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a work around?

Hi,
You must install docker and jq, curl and bash are already installed (Ubuntu Server 17.04), then you can proceed with installing hass.io (with the command given).
Hope this helps

@mak provided a nice guide to a minimal ubuntu VM for hassio in this thread:

The guide includes install of prereqs.

The actual VM folders aren’t directly exposed to the network. The Hass.io appliance with its Docker container has internal NAT. For access to the config folders I also use the Samba share add-on within Hass.io. You have to configure it correctly, and it’s a bit clumsy I’ve found, but it does work. It’s picky about the syntax of your credentials.

In the add-on details you’ll find the config area. Set it up with a username and password and restart the add-on. Also pay attention to the “Allow Hosts” bit - here I have specified a particular subnet, but you could define one host, multiple hosts, subnets, or a combination thereof.
And yeah that’s not actually my password.

When you browse to it you’ll be prompted for credentials. The entered creds should look like this:

And momentarily you should get dumped to here:

Hope you get it to behave.