Run whisper on external server

No, but the good news is, a GTX 1660 ti works and are about $100 cad used. Won’t do LLMs, but is good enough for this.

Yes, but the bad news is that my server is an intel NUC, so adding a GPU is not an option.
I was hoping for external m.2 TPU accelerators like Hailo 8 or similar boards would become popular enough.

Can always x1 PCIe lane to external enclosure. Depends how bad you want it.

I don’t know yet. I also care for power consumption a lot. My server sips ~6-9w when mostly-idle (which is 98% of the time for a home server). I can imagine adding an nvidia GPU would easily 5x that number.

Again, depends how bad you want it.

Sometimes, you have to have less than optimal set ups to accomplish bleeding edge tech

If you want to wait for power efficient, edge processors that have full support with whatever stack you want to use, that’s fine.

You asked specifically about if it were possible l, today, without a GPU. I simply gave you the information you requested. Hailo 8 doesn’t seem supported for this use case, but I could be wrong (memory will be the biggest issue)

And I appreciate it. It is a shame that Xe intel iGPUs are not supported. They are fairly decent actually. Maybe there are developments in the future. I’ve seen some info about a pytorch extensions with HW acceleration for intel xe graphics.

Actually, it won’t increase a lot of energy consumption because the GPU doesn’t work most of the time and only works when you’re talking to your assistant. The standby power of GPU is approximately 6W-9W. If you choose a GPU with 12GB VRAM, you can allow high-quality STT and LLM locally. 3060 is the best choice because it is very affordable and has a large number of VRAMs available.