Running esphome as a Linux service?

Does anybody know of any similar framework for a Pi? I need to deploy a controller at a remote location with loads of sensors and switches but also other stuff. That precludes an ESP 8266/32 etc, but I like the ease of config with esphome. Having something as simple to configure that runs as a Linux service would be great.

I’m not sure this is addressing your requirements or not. However, I use a Raspberry Pi 3B collecting temperature and humidity data from 20+ BLE devices. The RPI publishes this data to MQTT. The collection rate is on average 400 readings per hour for each of the 20 sensors. So 8,000 reading or so per hour and the RPI is at 1% utilization. It has run non-stop for one year plus period, interruptions have been do to general system changes or such, no issues on the RPI at all during any run period.

The RPI watchdog timer functions and MQTT libraries reconnect functions have kept it maintenance free.

This might give you some ideas for a base. Nothing against ESP type tools, they are good as well. The RPI’s are very solid and multifunction capable remote devices for home automation.

Good hunting!

Why is esphome precluded?

esphome framework per se is not precluded. esphone running on esp8266/32 hardware is.

The reason is the need to run other software in addition to the esphome framework. e.g. I need the Pi to host a remote access server and VNC.

The other reason is that there is no WiFi at the remote location. Access will be over 3/4G

Thanks for that. I also do something similar with a sensors on a couple of Pi. In my case it’s a python module I wrote that runs as a service on the Pi.

The advantage (to me) of being able to leverage esphome comes from the wealth of devices supported and the ease of configuring things like interlocked relays.

I agree, I do not think it is a one or the other between a SBC linux remote device and ESP type device. As long as you do not need true RT processing by the CPU, a linux solution when the number of sensors/controls gets above say 3 to 4 seems easier for me to work with. I just mashed together a 3D Printer monitoring setup with a SBC: local GUI, multiple video feeds, multiple environment monitors, power monitors/controls, filament tension monitor, filament heater and remote control of the printer. That would have been hard/harder with a ESP, even multiple of them.

Good hunting!