Running Home Assistant OS on windows VM and add node MCU controlled by google assistant addon

HI Experts,

Am new to the community and to IOT, trying to find my way into it, and am amazed by the options Home Assistant OS offers, I need your professional help to make the below concept work:

• Install Home Assistant OS on windows virtual machine.
  • Add Node MCU on it ( connected to 8 channel relay ) " I can do the part of hardware connections but no idea about Home Assistant OS configuration of it )"
  • Control the configured Node MCU relays by adding google assistant add-on .

Apologize in advance if that’s something impossible to be done, but I have high hopes of the amazing support I’ve seen on other topics on this community.

Thanks for taking time to review this request.

FYI: It hasn’t been called hassio since June when it was renamed to Home Assistant OS. The old name is no longer found anywhere in the official documentation.

Given that you are a new user, where did you read the old name that led you to adopt it? If it’s hiding somewhere in the official documentation, it will need to be corrected. If you read it on someone’s blog post or video, you were using outdated information.

The four official ways of installing Home Assistant are described here:

Home Assistant Installation Methods - Community Guides - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

What you are proposing is installing Home Assistant OS in a virtual machine. Installation instructions can be found in the documentation:

Installing Home Assistant OS - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

A device based on a NodeMCU can communicate with Home Assistant via Home Assistant’s native API or via MQTT. It all depends on what kind of firmware you choose to program the NodeMCU.

Hi Taras,

Thank you so much for the blazing fast response, mistake corrected, my bad I’ve seen many blogs call it that and it’s outdated like you said, Home assistant OS from now on :smiley:

Thank you for providing the installation instruction on a VM, I was wondering if you could help me with the part of installing a software on the MCU to control relays and link it to Home Assistant OS, it will really help me a lot, am a quick learner but I need a starting point.

Thanks again.

Do you already have the firmware you intend to use with the NodeMCU?

If not, you have some research to do and decide what you want to use. Popular choices are ESPHome, Tasmota, ESPurna, ESPEasy, etc.

1 Like

Hi Taras,

Thanks to your guidance, I’ve managed to do the following:
-install Home Assistant OS on Virtual box
-flash Node MCU E8266 board with ESPhome
-configure ESPhome and connected relays as switches to it and it’s working.

Now the next part am trying to figure out is:

1- configure remote access for ( VM Home assistant installation ).// Tried Duckdns method but it only redirects me to my router page and does not open anything outside of my local network…
2- change Node MCU code to use MQTT , to be able to control the NodeMCU while it’s connected to a different WIFI network.

Too much to ask I know, but like I said before, any starting point will do the trick, thanks again for your usual support :innocent:

Only when it’s all done in a single forum thread. :slight_smile:

The preference is to dedicate each thread to answer a question (or questions) about a specific topic. The first post to answer the question, or the one that does that best job of answering the question, is marked with the Solution tag by the topic’s author. Now all other users that have similar questions can easily find an answer.

By using a single thread for a continuing series of questions and answers, it becomes more of a journal (blog) of one person’s exploration of Home Assistant. It may be packed with information but more difficult for other users to follow (especially when searching for answers) as it hops from one topic to another.

Please consider marking whichever post you feel best answers your original question with the Solution tag and then composing a new topic for configuring remote-access (a subject worthy of its own thread).

As for configuring ESPHome to use MQTT, see: MQTT Client Component — ESPHome

BTW, congratulations for quickly grasping the concepts and making excellent progress.

1 Like