Russound MCA C5 Tuner

updated! Will keep an eye on things.

Thanks so much

What code changes did you need to make to get this working again?

I left both versions up in my githib if you want to compare them with winmerge or some other software used to compare code.

Basically any function calls to asyncio had the loop parameter removed from from them.

1 Like

I have been having issues with MCA C5 for years

Tech support has no clue what is wrong.

Itā€™s a crap system that is very fragile software wise.

Junk it.

I have just updated my HA to 2023.6.0 and now get the following error message when I run the CHECK CONFIGURATION to restart HA.
Error:
Platform error media_player.russound_rio - Exception importing custom_components.russound_rio_3.media_player

I just upgraded to 2023.6.1 from 2023.5.XX and got exactly the same thing. Something in 6.X borks the Russound integration. So I canā€™t upgrade until thatā€™s fixed. That one is critical in my house.

@nat_neels, would you mind sharing your YAML for the Whole Home Audio card with the buttons for each zone?

Has the issue been confirmed and/or fixed for the Russound integration in 2023.6.xx?

Update: Never mind, checking github I found this issue was resolved with the release of 2023.6.2

@prgeno @samgreco @kazanjig

I have updated the rio.py file on github, this includes radio sources.

@nat_neels do you happen to have the SCS-C5 software to access the system. I just got one of these from a second-hand shop and Iā€™m unable to access the system for configuration. Or do you perhaps have another way of accessing the system? Thanks in advance

@makten if you can access the webGUI of the unit, there is a link that takes you to a support page where you should be able to create a login and download the SCS-C5 software. only runs on windows.

I donā€™t use Home Assistant, but I have been reading through this thread with interest. I control my MCA-C5 with Telnet commands. I have discovered that if no commands are issued to the Russound for 1- 2 hours, the Telnet connection terminates, and control is no longer possible. And that generally requires a power cycle to repair. Now, I send a RIO command to one of my zones (GET C[1].Z[3].mute) every 30 minutes and that keeps my Russound connected and controllable for months at a time.

1 Like

Also, I would be interested in how well the managed switch is working.

2x MCA-C5 here, running for over 2 years. Using nat_neels integration and everything is fine.

I do have a managed switch, and I did work with ACLā€™s to filter traffic, but i have since removed them.

For me, the key thing was to have an automation interact with the parent MCA C5 in my stacked setup every 59 minutes. I have an automation that polls the volume of a zone and then sets the zone to the volume it was set at. There is logic to handle if the zone is powered off or powered on. Since enabling this automation, the C5 setup has been incredibly stable and functional.

If anyone needs MCA-C5 software, PM me. I have it on google drive and can share the link.

I do poll my Russound as stated above. My problem is sending RIO commands. If I send sequential commands too fast, some get ignored. Generally, I have to wait 1 second in-between each commandā€¦set zone source, wait 1, set zone volume, wait 1, turn zone on, wait 1ā€¦repeat. This creates a delay in playing music throughout my house, and the WAF is diminished.