SAJ Solar inverter

@matly006 perhaps you were answering a private message? Anyway I have a barely working integration that is able to collect inverter data via MQTT with good polling rate (few seconds).
If you’re interested in testing it contact me privately, it is still in early development and has a couple of annoying bugs I’m trying to solve, but seems to work and I need some feedback.

Hi Test123, I must agree with Jock. You don’t know the logic of the programmers and it would be very easy to write a wrong register and screw up the entire thing.

If you decide to experiment (it is very easy by using home assistant to write to those registers using the service: modbus.write_register) I would test extremely well before changing anything yourself. I am myself very reluctant to mess arround with this.

On a sidenote, just curious as to why you would want to control the charging/decharging? Personally I want to control all my home equipment with the exception of the battery and solar panels, who do their own thing (i.e. store unused solar energy inside and use stored energy when the solar energy is insufficient). If you can control all the rest (eg car chargers, heating, hot water, etc) why bother controlling battery/solar?

ps, just had a quick look at the Spanish group (I dont speak Spanish so might have missed the gest) but looks like they went the same modbus route indeed to pull data and present this to Grafana (nice graphs), build home automations and incorporating the data in the energy panel in home assistant etc, but not sure if they succeeded in controlling the charging/decharging? If they did, i’m sure they would have to go over modbus anyway. Also (with respect to the Spanish group), not sure whey they relay alot of info over Grafana, as all info, automations etc can be written/shown/represented inside HA itself (i like to keep it clean and use as little tools possible as things tend to break more easily, the more different components are used --i used to use telegram/grafana/influxdb for this, but I stopped using it).

Anyways, it became a long post, but just some thought I guess.

cheers,

Ben

Got my H2 installed couple of weeks ago and trying to figure out how I could connect to it and get data to Home Assistant locally.

Tried MQTT redirect now but the data is unreadable :frowning:

I have the AIO3 connected as of now, what do I need to read the modbus data over wifi?

I just have this integration installed right now… SAJ Solar Inverter - Home Assistant works fine!!

# Example configuration.yaml entry
sensor:
  - platform: saj
    host: IP_ADDRESS_OF_DEVICE

Hi

Mainly as I have dynamic pricing tariff (ie every hour is a different price). So I am able to relatively cheaply charge the battery and use it when prices are more expensive. But because of this I need to be able to control the battery on an hourly basis, to match it to the pricing.

It also allows you to replicate peak shaving if you would want to.

Through the modbus route (based on the work from our spanish friends) I am now able to completely control charging. I assume I will be able to do the same for discharging but have not focused on that yet.

I do appreciate the risk here which I am also very much concerned about. But so far so good.

Thank for the feedback! Indeed for your use-case it would make sense to control this charging/decharging.

For my curiosity, can you explain a little bit more your approach via modbus (i.e. which registers do you write to and how do you monitor the status)?

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,

Ben

Which device do you use to communicate with modbus to the SAJ Inverter? I want to achieve the same with my SAJ H2 + B2 setup.

Hello, Not sure if i’m in the good topic for this question. I have 2 inverters both SAJ. is there a way to monitor thrm both in Home Assistant ? I tried it this way in yaml file :

but doesn’t see 2 inverters in home screen…

Hello,

I am using the flowing setup now for some time, and is very stable setup.

SAJ modusbus download on HACS GitHub - binsentsu/home-assistant-solaredge-modbus: Home assistant Component for reading data locally from Solaredge inverter through modbus TCP
A RS232 to TCP modbus converter Hf Elfin-EE10A aliexpress

I have connected the SAJ inverter on RS232 bus, downside of this that you lose the dongle connector. There is also way to connect it to the RS485 connector, but then you have to use a other converter RS485 to TCP Modbus Hf EE11A

Github link is to a solaredge integration. Is that the correct one?

Yes thats the right one, the base is solaredge and it is tweakt to work with the SAJ modbus

I have never data from the rs232.
What i do wrong???
already changed Tx-Rx ( 2-3 from USB with 5-6 on RJ45)

I make my own cable from no longer used USB cable

Help a newbee.

What i will do is start stop a (pound)pump depending SOC of the battery ( H1)

Did pull data from the inverter, you have to setup the intergration first.

Hi Rob, You do mention that there is a possibility to have the elfin11A connected to the RS485. Can you detail where is the RS485 port located on the AS1? Removing the top plate, I see several RJ45 ports, but not sure if any of those are RS485.
Any help is appreciated.
Kind regards,
Tash

I have the SAJ R5 inverter and the location of the RS485 connector is on the bottom.

1 Like

I’m completely lost. I’ve been reading some guides but I don’t find the info I’m looking for. This is a H1

The company that sold to me the Inverter has closed, and I don’t want them to have more access to this. I know that these guys had remote access (not 100% sure how). I assume that through eSolar app for vendors, they had some sort of direct access to the configuration parameters?

First, I wanted to have full access to eSolar Air. But for such I would need to keep the dongle. So basically the idea here is to ditch such app and move full to Home Assistant with an Elfin11A, right?

But to configure the inverter, I will need to do this manually with the buttons. Also I have a wifi power meter connected to the inverter (to know when the grid has dropped), so if I remove the dongle, maybe the connection to the meter will drop?

I assume that this black thing connected to the 4G/GPRS/Wifi port is the dongle

Which is also a RS232 port.

There is also two cables connecting to the RS485 and CAN connected there (not sure for what, but I see that CAN goes to the Lithium Battery, but the RS482 that are the cables without protection, not sure where it goes)

So basically all my fear is to losing connection with the grid connected power meter when I set the Elfin11A

Thanks for sharing! I have a AS1 battery and the layout is different, I guess no RS485 or maybe there is one directly on the board, but I’m not sure!
There are 4 RJ45 ports there…

You can remove the dongle and use a Hf Elfin-EE10A that also what I am using now, I presume it will be show up in how assistant. I am not sure because you have different inverter. But this all chines stuff and the inner workes are maybe the same. The Hf dongle is maybe 10,- it not very expansive to try.

What for inverter is charging this battery?

Hi Rob,
This is a retrofit battery system, and has an embedded inverter. This is hooked to the main power and is charged by a PV having a SMA sunnyboy 5 inverter. I have access to all the data from the SMA inverter thanks to the native integration in the home assistant via the local network. The SAJ can be integrated only via the online platform and the data exchange is very limited. Connecting locally would have been great, but as I understand with this system this can be achieved only via rs232 port, hence taking out the AIO3 dongle and loosing the connection with the esolar platform.
Thanks for sharing all this! Maybe someone having a similar setup and finds eventually another way to get the data locally.
Kind regards,
Tash