Samba 9.6 Upgrade Killed Samba

TY for posting this. A little head scratching that this wasn’t included in the ‘official’ 9.6 release. Giving users options / being backwards compatible seems like a good thing, at least to me. Hoping a 9.6.1 is released that re-includes this feature.

PR is waiting for merge: add the default interface to the supported interface list. Theoretically it merges the 9.5.1 and 9.6.0 functionality. See: [Samba] Add default interface to supported interface list by lmagyar · Pull Request #2456 · home-assistant/addons · GitHub

Also added this functionality to the forked version: if somebody installs the forked v9.6.1.4 and it works without an interfaces: parameter, the next official v9.6.1 will work also.

Please test the forked v9.6.1.4, because the core team won’t test it on unsupported environments and I can’t test it also.

Brilliant. Installed from your updated repository (GitHub - lmagyar/homeassistant-addon-samba-interface: Restores interfaces configuration for Samba add-on) and added this to configuration:

interfaces:
  - eno1

It’s back and working!

1 Like

So the final, accepted official v9.6.1 bugfix:

• run only on the supported interfaces, nothing more
  • exit with error if there are no supported interfaces

Forked samba add-on v9.6.1.6 also released with this fix and error message. And certainly the optional interfaces: configuration option remained.

So anybody who needs Samba add-on on an unsupported system, should use the forked version from now on. See: GitHub - lmagyar/homeassistant-addon-samba-interface: Restores interfaces configuration for Samba add-on

I will maintain it, because I also need the extra configuration option, even if my system is supported. :smiley: I access Samba only from the SSH add-on (with port forwarding) through the lo interface.

7 Likes

Thank You.
I am running Ubuntu, which is unsupported, so using your fork got mine working again.

Well, I just got hit with this one after doing a repair of an issue that Home Assistant reported. I got a few warnings, and I went ahead and fixed them … not sure which one of them caused the issue, but it obviously renamed my network interface to do it! I too am running an on Intel NUC, and the interface is eno1.

Anyway, long story short, had to install @lmagyar1973’s Samba fork and it did work.

Thanks @lmagyar1973 for your work … you got me out of a pickle!

1 Like