Samba share not accessible through Windows 10

I accept this is yet another of similar posts but all those I have looked at are not solving my issue.

Samba was working some time ago and I have in the past accessed my HA Samba share to load software via Windows 10. However, that was some time ago and now I cannot link.

I have re-installed Samba in Home Assistant in the hope it would fix it but no luck.

The ip address in Windows 10 results in various file explorer messages but the significant thing appears to be that it is not shown in Windows Network. Also, I have tried to map to share, config, root etc on the IP but no luck.

Screenshot File Explorer message
Screenshot File Explorer message

Screenshot HA Samba Share config

Screenshot HA Samba Share

Screenshot Ping of HA IP address
Screenshot Ping of HA IP address

Screenshot Router

Screenshot Windows 10 SMB settings
Screenshot Windows 10 SMB settings

Screenshot Samba Log showing Windows 10 laptop attempts
Screenshot Samba Log showing Windows 10 laptop attempts

Screenshot mapping attempts
Screenshot mapping attempts

1 Like

Check this box :

and enter your HA username and password.

1 Like

I can’t see my share there either but I can connect to it using the info posted above by Francis.

If you don’t do that then Windows tries to log on to the share with whatever account you used to log into Windows with.

Sometimes I wonder how I survived in IT for 30 years!! Of course I need different credentials. Thanks for that.

However, I still cannot connect.

I guess there are 2 questions here:

1. I clearly used a Samba specific userid and password in the HA Samba Share configuration, which I must have set up some time ago. Should I be using this or my HA GUI login id when connecting? At the moment, neither work for the pure ip address //192.168.1.186

2. I assume Samba Share, when installed, sets up a default share folder location. What is it?

1 Like

\\1923168.1.186\config should be the one you are looking for.

Still no better. Attempted just the ip address, config, share, root with no luck and even changed the userid and password on Samba config to match home assistant logon details. Still no luck.

Always asks for re-entry of user details.

1 Like

Hi @stain3565
On my personal Win10 machine Windows Credentials are saved successfully but on my work laptop that i use at home too i’m also always prompted to enter credentials. Our company is applying a GPO that prevents saving of Windows Credentials.
I have not dug into what settings specifically control this, but this might also apply to your situation.
If you have an account with admin rights you might be able to manually create & store Windows Credentials for your share.
Cheers
Nick

Apologies. Did not make that clear. It does not accept the user/password credentials as valid so asks again. The point was that it still does not connect, even with the correct user credentials.

You’re probably typing in the wrong credentials. There’s not much to connecting to a samba share and everyone makes the same mistakes.

At most, this is all you need for your configuration with the current IP that you’re connecting to. I noticed you added items that aren’t needed

workgroup: WORKGROUP
username: xxxx
password: 'xxxxxxx'
allow_hosts:
  - 10.0.0.0/8
  - 172.16.0.0/12
  - 192.168.1.0/16
veto_files:
  - ._*
  - .DS_Store
  - Thumbs.db
  - icon?
  - .Trashes
compatibility_mode: false

Then just map 1 of 2 locations…

\\x.x.x.x\config
\\homeassistant\config

and use your login / password that samba is set up for.

There’s really nothing more to it. You might have to try a few times with windows security.

1 Like

Hi, I understand it should be very simple and I also understand the issues with putting incorrect credentials in. However, I have copied/pasted directly several times and typed in without copy/paste, the exact username/password on the Samba Share config. I have triple checked including pasting into notepad before and after. There are no special characters or spaces.

Temporarily, the home assistant login and samba details are aligned as I wanted to rule out using the wrong userid (I didn’t get any answers on which to use although I assumed the Samba config username - both are in line now). The samba share service has restarted after each change. I have pasted your version of the config with my username and password inserted and restarted.

I realise this should be simple and do remember last year connecting and using a windows file explorer window to install software. Indeed I can see in ssh where these installation libraries were copied. But I am at a loss now. Samba Share reinstalled and not working. I am wondering if a some point, I changed or implemented another form of Samba via ssh and not the HA GUI. I cannot recall that but maybe some other Samba credentials are interfering?

Screenshot 11-02-2021 12.47.02
Screenshot 11-02-2021 12.44.55

is your password in quotes? If you have special characters this may be needed.

Also, windows sometimes by default uses your email instead of your user name, so letting windows handle the credentials will almost always result in failure unless you account for that.

I am entering the credentials, username and password and there are no special characters, just alphanumerics. I really believe it is not an issue with credentials entered. There is something at samba, network or system level that is preventing the connection.

I’ve had to do this already with Windows 10 because some of my linux shares could not be accessed after a Windows update. How to detect, enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 in Windows | Microsoft Docs discussion: [Samba] Fwd: Cannot connect to Samba share (4.1.11) from Windows 10

log is below with details of attempted connect from my desktop and a Could Not Find Child message

Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE
netbios connect: name1=HOMEASSISTANT 0x20 name2=DESKTOP-xxxxxxx0x0
netbios connect: local=homeassistant remote=desktop-xxxxxxx, name type = 0
Could not find child 336 – ignoring
Could not find child 338 – ignoring
Could not find child 342 – ignoring
Could not find child 344 – ignoring
Could not find child 349 – ignoring
Could not find child 351 – ignoring
Could not find child 354 – ignoring
Could not find child 356 – ignoring
Could not find child 360 – ignoring
Could not find child 362 – ignoring
Could not find child 366 – ignoring

ok, not happy with this but went to my firewall and added my home assistant as a trusted device. Mapped to the config folder and, after clicking ok twice on the password dialog boxes (note - did not like it the first time), it mapped.

I definitely did not have to overtly define as trusted before and am not sure that this is the most secure way. However, it did work

For those my might read this post, after 2 hours of sweat, I discovered that I had to change Network security: LAN Manager authentication level to “Send NTLMv2 response only. Refuse LM & NTLM” in secpol.msc as explained here: Network policy. It would be great to have Samba documentation updated.

That’s what the suggest an edit button is for. Seeing that you know this issue intimately, it might be worth while to add it to the documentation yourself. Simply click the edit button at the bottom of the page, edit the docs and submit the PR.

With great pleasure. I’ll do it right away

2 Likes

I’m not very familiar with this environment. As a matter of fact I’m searching where the documentation source is located. I think it is here : Samba share documentation. Do you confirm? So I clicked on Edit, and from there I just don’t know what do. I understand it is a collection of inclusion, but where are stored each component, and more specifically the one related to Samba share? Thank you.