Samsung non Smart TV integration (UE55C6000RW)

Hello everyone,

I’m new here and I could really use some help with my final project to graduate :wink:. For my project, I want to use Home Assistant to integrate two different televisions: one smart TV and the other not.

I’ve watched a few videos about integrating a smart TV, and I won’t lie, it seems a bit challenging, but I think I understand the basics. If I encounter any problems with this, I’ll definitely share them here for assistance.

However, I’m not sure how to proceed with the non-smart TV. . There are a few options like using IR blaster, HDMI CEC, and LAN. Currently, I’m using a VM as my Home Assistant (no Raspberry Pi), and I’m particularly interested in the LAN option due to budget reasons. Also, what I really need is not just to control it from a distance, but also to try to send a URL so the TV can display a website.

I hope you guys can help me out or at least understand what I’m planning to do. Feel free to ask any questions, and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Best way to control a TV is if the TV is Android based. If the TV is not Android based controlling through HDMI CEC might be the only option.

If you can buy an Android Based TV stick like the Xiaomi Mi, you only headache then is to power the TV on/off (can be solved using a smart plug) and selecting the HDMI input, although most TVs will automatically select and switch to an active HDMI port.

Although I doubt it, your non smart TV might be able to wake up using wake-on-lan.

What are the TV models you are using and what functions you want to control.

Stupid question: what does a non-smart TV do with a LAN port?

What are the TV models you are using? It’s a Samsung UE55C6000RW.

Which functions do you want to control? To be honest, it’s mainly about displaying websites and videos from distance ( i mean like from there computers). Let me provide some context: I’m currently working for a hospital, and for my final project, they’ve tasked me with finding a solution for remotely controlling televisions, both smart and non-smart

If simple control is required then a simple HDMI extender using either HDBT or IP based streaming will do the job at a cost. Although the Xiaomi TV stick is a fraction of the cost of an HDMI extender.

Another solution is using a matrix based HDBT solution which allows connecting sources with TVs over CAT6; there are multiple solutions all with a considerable cost.

Controlling everything through IP, for a hospital I suggest using a TV stick; the reason is it creates a uniform control infrastructure; develop once deploy as many times as you wish; all TVs support CEC therefore switching them ON through CEC is easy; this solution also works with monitors and any other display tech, smart or not, using WiFi to connect and Android to control. The Xiaomi device I suggested is good as it is low cost and works out of the box with HA or even your mobile phone.

A TV stick makes you independent of the OS your TV is running. For example it works with LG, Samsung, Hisense, TCL, you name it, if it has an HDMI port (even on HDBT or HDMI matrix switches).

Another TV stick advantage is using Android TV and/or Chromecast to control/stream things through HA using a common media backend.

You can even automate things to play different media in the morning, afternoon, night, plus manual control.

My number one suggestion is to consider the Xiaomi TV stick. For a hospital it is an almost nothing cost, plus it can be implemented in a fast and furious manner, saving on hours of development, using commonly deployed infrastructure and almost effortless to develop and deploy a scaleable solution.

Alright, it could be a great solution, but can I integrate that Xiaomi TV Stick into my Home Assistant?

You can integrate any Android TV stick in HA. To give you a head start:

HACS

1. Firemote Card (my choice if user friendly UI remote required)
  2. Android TV Remote Card