Samsung Smart TV missing integration

Hi there

I am trying to add automation that will shut down my Samsung SmartTV (UN65RU7100FXZA) if it is on after 1:30 AM.

The TV is showing up in my integration tab, and I can control it from the device tab, but when I try to set up any automation. At the same time, I can see conditions for the TV (idle, running, streaming, etc.); when I try to set up an action, no steps are available from the drop-down list.

I tried to set up this automation using YAML using this code:

alias: Turn off Samsung TV after 1:30 AM
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: device
    device_id: d70fb405f685259de69adabdd557aac6
    domain: media_player
    entity_id: media_player.samsung_7_series_65
    type: idle
  - platform: time
    at: "01:27:00"
condition: []
action:
  - type: turn_off
    device_id: d70fb405f685259de69adabdd557aac6
    entity_id: media_player.samsung_7_series_65
    domain: media_player
mode: single

When I try to save this code, I get this error message:

“Message malformed: Integration ‘media_player’ does not support device automation actions.”

Was anyone else able to config some actions on this device type?

Thanks

Itamar

It’s un-intuitive (asinine / stupid / whatever adjective you’d like) but since the device is considered a MEDIA type device, you can’t issue any DEVICE actions against it. You can only issue media actions and they’re all accessed by SERVICE CALL.

So click ADD ACTION → Call Service and then select your Media action → Media Player: Turn Off

Yeah, it’s a poor design choice and it bugs the crap out of me. Every physical device needs to also be accessible from the Device actions for POWER commands (ON/OFF/toggle).