Samsung SmartCam integration

Does anyone know of any efforts to integrate the Samsung SmartCam with Home Assistant?

Looking for some cameras, and these ones are pretty cheap from Costco.

Looks like you can connect to these cameras as an IP Camera.

I solved this by adding an ffmpeg camera component, and pointing it to the following URL:

rtsp://admin:{password}@{camera_ip_address}//onvif/profile5/media.smp

5 Likes

@winter Picked one of these up at my local Sam’s for $120 - do you have a recomendation - is it worth getting? How’s your integration with HA?

Thanks!

Tom

I think I prefer the Netgear Arlo, because they include a cloud subscription. I like the samsung with the sdcard support locally though.

Hi Winter,

I’m intrigued to hear what you did do get this to work!

Whenever I add the ffmpeg camera component I end up with a broken image and a lot of errors in the log.
I can see the stream perfectly in VLC, I even tried to change the profile to a lower resolution stream and it still won’t work.

Cheers
John

Hi sangve,

This is my configuration.

camera livingroom:

• platform: ffmpeg
    input: rtsp://{username}:{password}@10.0.0.114/onvif/profile5/media.smp
    name: “living room”

Hi Winter,

EDIT: Apparently I didn’t have FFmpeg installed! Installed that and now it works :smiley:

Thank you for taking the time to post it. Odd thing is that when I use the same config with my info I get a broken card.

Cheers
John

Trying to connect to my Samsung Smartcam too, what username and password do you use? When I setup the camera on the app there’s a username and password to log into the smartcam system and then there’s a separate password for the camera but I don’t have to enter a username, just curious what are you guys using for the {username}:{password} on your setup?

Hey,

I use admin as username and the password for the camera, not the one used for signing in to the app.

Good luck!

That worked, thanks! I can connect to the stream with VLC player now I just need to see if I can get ffmpeg installed on my Pi

for future users of the Samsung SmartCam using Raspberry Pi here’s how I got it working for me

First install ffmeg on the Pi, these are the steps I used via SSH (each line is separate command, near the end it takes a long time to run/install)

cd /usr/src
sudo git clone git://git.videolan.org/x264
cd x264
sudo ./configure --host=arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi --enable-static --disable-opencl
sudo make
sudo make install
cd /usr/src
sudo git clone https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg.git
cd FFmpeg
sudo ./configure --arch=armel --target-os=linux --enable-gpl --enable-libx264 --enable-nonfree
sudo make
sudo make install
cd /
sudo apt install libav-tools

After it’s installed you need to go to your configuration.yaml and add the following (this could be slightly different for you maybe but this is what worked for me:

ffmpeg:
  ffmpeg_bin: /usr/bin/avconv

And then for the cameras.yaml I used:

- platform: ffmpeg
   name: Samsung Cam1
   input: -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://admin:{password to camera}@{IP address of camera}/onvif/profile5/media.smp
4 Likes

hello I have the same mistake how to install - ffmpeg in home assitant

Hi, I have hass.io so ffmpeg available as per the docs.
I did the above in configuration.yaml

and added a new section in configuration.yaml

camera:
  - platfrom: ffmpeg
    name: Samsung Cam1
    input: -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://admin:test#[email protected]/onvif/profile5/media.smp

when i do a config check i get the error below -

Invalid config for [camera]: required key not provided @ data['platform']. Got None. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 122). Please check the docs at https://home-assistant.io/components/camera/

This is my 1st test cam, so i am adding it in configuration.yaml …once i have a bunch i will figure out the cameras.yaml. Please let me know what am i doing wrong. thanks

1 Like

@tima - Not sure if it is still relevant, but thought I would post this for future. Your block looks good, but ‘platform’ is misspelled. That’s probably why you are getting the error. For anyone else, be sure that you do sudo apt install ffmpeg to install ffmpeg. Then, add the camera to your configuration.

For reference, here is my section of configuration.yaml, which seems to work great in hassbian:

ffmpeg:
        ffmpeg_bin: /usr/bin/ffmpeg

camera:
        - platform: ffmpeg
          name: Samsung SmartCam01
          input: -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://admin:[email protected]/onvif/profile5/media.smp

The password is the password on the camera itself, not the cloud password for the management system.

1 Like

does anybody have this running with hassio? I’m seeing the following error:

[haffmpeg.core] FFmpeg isn't running!