Scenes (e.g., double tap) on the GE (Jasco) Enbrighten Motion Sensor Switch

I read that this GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Sensor Light Switch supports scenes, so I was thinking I could use double and triple taps to perform automations like I do with my Inovelli smart dimmers. However, I’ve only been able to use a double-tap down. Has anyone with this switch gotten it to work? Does it actually support double and triple taps? These are the triggers available for it in Home Assistant:

When selecting Scene Activation on Endpoint 0, it provides a Value option that ranges from 0 to 255. When I select Basic CC event on Endpoint 0, I get the same 0 - 255 value option and this event seems to be triggered when I double-tap down on the switch (regardless of whether I have the value set to 0 or 255). So, I could use the double-tap down to close my garage, for instance, but I’m not seeing a way to use double-tap up to open the garage, use triple-taps, etc.

If it doesn’t support these multiple taps, what exactly does “scenes” in the product description mean that it’s capable of? I love my Inovellis for the double (and triple/quadruple/quintuple) tap feature.

I’ve also been looking at this UltraPro Z-Wave Smart Rocker Light Dimmer switch. How do I know if it supports this feature the way the Inovelli switches do?

Your GE motion switch does not support Central Scene, which is where the double/triple/etc. tap actions come from. Most of the GE switches have traditionally supported Basic Set commands via Double Taps using Group 3. The driver software creates an event for these to emulated a “scene”. You can’t get anything more than a double tap.

The scene support mentioned in the marketing description probably either refers to the rarely used Scene Activation CC, which is meant for controlling devices from a portable controller, not usually the hub controller and is difficult to configure, or it’s just being vague and referring to capabilities of most automation software.

According to the ZWA DB, the UltraPro device you’ve linked supports Central Scene, which would allow for multiple taps. See the list of CCs and the downloadable manual.

When you say “See the list of CCs,” are you referring to the Configuration Capabilities (like these for the UltraPro switches and these for the GE switch)? Can you help me understand what to look for in the ZWA DB to determine whether multiple taps are supported? Am I just looking for Central Scene in the product features? How do I know what are the capabilities of Central Scene? Sorry if these are really basic questions; it would just be good to know how to parse the information on my own in the future.

Back to the GE, I see the Association Capabilities lists Basic Set in Group IDs 2 and 3 (group 3 being the taps on the switch). How do I utilize that in Home Assistant to have a double-tap up action and a double-tap down action?

Finally, the parameter sheet lists a parameter named Change brightness of associated light bulb(s), but this isn’t a dimmer (at least I didn’t think it was), so what is this parameter?

Thanks for helping me understand this stuff.

List of CCs supported is available from the DB listing.

I don’t think the DB will tell you which central scene key attributes (double, triple, etc. tap) a device supports. Contact the manufacturer or check their documentation (if it exists) if you need to know about a specific device. For general Central Scene CC information, consult the Z-Wave Spec, SDS13781 Z-Wave Application Command Class Specification.

Use the Basic Set trigger that you showed in your screen shot. Or create an event based trigger. 0 is off and 255 is on. Or use one of the GE Blueprints available in the blueprints category.

Finally, the parameter sheet lists a parameter named Change brightness of associated light bulb(s), but this isn’t a dimmer (at least I didn’t think it was), so what is this parameter?

I don’t know, but I would guess it allows you to configure the Basic Set value that is sent to an associated group. If a bulb is the target node, you can configure a specific brightness value (0-99) to turn on with instead of the default which turns it on to the last known brightness (255).

1 Like