Scheduler card/custom component

Switching to version v1.8.0 solve the error but gave me another one related to FrontendTranslationData

src/views/config-timepicker-card.ts:283:78 - error TS2345: Argument of type 'FrontendTranslationData' is not assignable to parameter of type 'FrontendLocaleData'.

283       <div class="header">${localize('ui.panel.time_picker.time_input_mode', getLocale(this.this.hass))}</div>

Currently i investigate a strange behavior. I set up a schedules with multiple timeslots for my climate entities (Tado Thermostats integrated via HomeKit).

Today two Thermostats where scheduled to change from 22Ā°C to 18Ā°C at different times but both switched off instead.

In my Tado App the History shows both of them turned off at the time they where scheduled to 18Ā°C.
Strange is also that these state changes where first visible in the Tado App and then 5 and 9 Minutes later replicated to the climate entities in HA.

I carefully checked that no other automation or schedule in HA, the Tado App or elsewhere caused this.
Does someone ever experienced this with Scheduler? Could this be a Scheduler problem?

@neliss I just wanted to publicly say a big thank you for your ongoing work on this card. The ideas coming on Guthub illustrate how important this component is to people, and how vital it has become to many of us. This functionality is sorely missing from the core HA. What home automation product would be complete without an easy to use scheduler? On top of that, you are very responsive to requests and in implementing new features. I wish other component authors were as responsive, but fully understand that many canā€™t find the time to be so.

I have made a small donation via the Github page. I would encourage others to do the same where you can. Thank you again.

5 Likes

I too wanted to thank you @neliss. I installed the integration and the card via HACS and voila, within a couple of minutes was turning a light on at a schedule.

Very easy to install, no shagging around doing obscure stuff, intuitive to set a simple schedule.

I was a very reluctant follower from yaml to gui. This kind if intuitiveness really grabs my sad old command-line/text ass into the UI believerā€™s camp. well done.

4 Likes

This compenent truly is amazing to have and I am looking forward to see how far it can go. Iā€™ve worked a lot with SAVANT and the Savant Pro 8 app, which has this ā€œScenario Builderā€, a feature missing in home assistant. It allows users to create scenes from the UI with just a few clicks. You should take a look @neliss since itā€™s free and you can open a demonstration mode that shows how it would work on a real home, it might give you some inspiration! Iā€™ll show you some examples below. Thanks for maintaining this project!

I was a bit confused seeing getLocale(this.this.hass), (double this) but this doesnā€™t seem to be in the actual source code (link).
I do believe your error is caused by having v1.9.0 (prior) installed. There has been a breaking change in custom-card-helpers (link) which causes this (scheduler-card doesnā€™t use//expect FrontendTranslationData.
Anyway, I think the people maintaining custom-card-helpers are messing up. It looks like the v1.9.0 release has been deleted now, so apparently there are some big issues (Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t update scheduler-card yet, else I would have been in a deadlock nowā€¦)

I donā€™t think so. Scheduler is quite transparent, it wouldnā€™t send command ā€˜offā€™ when you configurre a schedule for setting ā€˜18Cā€™. If you have doubts, you could check the logbook and you should see the command which is sent. You can also enable debug logging for scheduler by adding this to configuration.yaml (+reboot HA):

logger:
  default: info
  logs:
    custom_components.scheduler: debug

You would be able to see in the logs exactly what scheduler sends.

Please ensure this setting is disabled in your Tado integration settings:

It can really cause unpredictable behaviour combined with scheduler.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your enthusiasm, this is what motivates me to spend time on this :slight_smile:
I also saw a scheduler being a missing piece in HA, thatā€™s why I started this project.
Not knowing about python nor typescript nor HA ā€˜behind the scenesā€™ , so it has been quite an adventure.
Now scheduler-card is at 690 commits so its safe to say it went a bit out of hand (I am afraid that roughly each commit means an hour of free time :sweat_smile:, either from me or the contributors).

I had some discussions with Paulus (founder of HA) in the past and he also would like to have scheduler integrated in HA so he was open for a PR, but we are not completely on the same page.
My goal was to have a simple UI which allows you to set up a rule in under 10 clicks (and modifying it in 5 clicks).
A scheduler interface integrated in HA would look more like the automations editor, so more flexible/extensive but also harder to reach and to use (and not possible in a card).
I think this year will be a turning point for scheduler. I would like to collaborate on a more permanent solution so I am thinking about starting up discussions with Paulus again.

Thanks a lot for your donation, it is a very nice feeling to receive gifts as appreciation for my (amateur) work, especially knowing for you Iā€™m just a stranger. I donā€™t expect anything from anyone (obviously I didnā€™t start this project to be rewarded), HA is completely free to use which is its biggest feature.

Thanks to these donations I have been able to buy: (not a sponsored message)

• A second Raspberry Pi with a fancy Argon One SSD housing, which runs several docker containers with HA for development and testing (I donā€™t have to sacrifice my home HA setup anymore)
  • Some Switchbot curtain motors (obviously connected to scheduler), really nifty devices
  • Crazy accurate Aqara Motion sensors (RTCGQ13LM) which I use to have my lights turn on when Iā€™m in room
  • Probably more stuff (like colorful Hue bulbs), I guess we all have the same addiction

So a big thank you to all for helping out on this!!!

2 Likes

Iā€™m happy to have you on board! I have seen your name pop up in quite some threads around here, you seem to be a very active user with a broad understanding of HA, so your feedback is appreciated.

Frankly I am also a bit of a yaml fan. I have the feeling that UI configured things are easier to break and harder to backup/restore and of course duplication / mass editing is also not possible.
I have on my to-do list the the option to have scheduler becoming UI+yaml hybrid, similar to the automation editor in HA auto-generating an entry in automations.yaml.
But this seems quite tough to accomplish, as far as I know there are no integrations out there which can do this. Tough but not impossible I hope :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip, I donā€™t know Savant but I will take a look for sure.
I do think that the scenes in HA are very poorly executed. I wish you could put some lights as you want and hit ā€˜save as sceneā€™ and also add some dynamics like simulating presence when youā€™re out and the alarm is on, as well as the circadian color patterns. I also would like to be able to stop a scene and revert all lights to the state before starting it (e.g. when watching a movie).
Unfortunately I donā€™t think this should be part of scheduler. I really only want it to hold rules to be executed on time.
But I am always looking for ideas to improve the UI, perhaps Savant gives some nice ideas.

I agree, but that doesnā€™t diminish the joy of experiencing an integration + card that executes the gui well.

I donā€™t have the in depth knowledge that a lot of people do, but I try to contribute, because that is what open source is about. Cheers.

That would be interesting. Such a big hole in HA at present.

Very happy to see your donations put to good use extending your home automations! Perfect use for them of course.

I donā€™t understand also why that this.this, could be a cut/paste error when Iā€™ve posted it but the error message is as follow and is repeated everywhere in the code for the getLocale(this.hass) and getLocale(hass)

src/views/config-timepicker-card.ts:283:78 - error TS2345: Argument of type 'FrontendTranslationData' is not assignable to parameter of type 'FrontendLocaleData'.

283       <div class="header">${localize('ui.panel.time_picker.time_input_mode', getLocale(this.hass))}</div>

Thank you so much for your reply! I didnā€™t really suspect Scheduler, as you said it is transparent and i can confirm that the temp was set correct.

After some further research it looks like HomeKit and/or Tado in combination may be the problem. I found this post Smart Thermostat unexpectedly switches to ON ā€” tadoĀ° Community wich is not exactly what i experienced but it looks like HA > HomeKit > Tado may cause such unexpected behavior. I will try the suggested re-integration if this problem keeps happening.

Besides that i also would like to say just ā€œThank Youā€ for this Project. I was positively surprised
how easy and well thought through Scheduler is.

you succeeded here and i would love to keep that in some way, even if itā€™s integrated in HA.

I donā€™t really like the automations editor, i find it a bit confusing at firt glance and not so intuitive.
The automation editor should look more like scheduler, that would be great. :grinning:

Iā€™ll try to completely remove 1.9.0 and make a clean install of 1.8.0. I hope it will flush that error.
Thank you

i am looking for a way to get the current settings for an active slot, especially the set temperature for the current slot. My goal is to compare these in an automation and a lovelace card.

The switch entity lists the actions as an attribute but the current slot is the time and not the action. If i have the same temperature setting in multiple time slots it only lists the action once. I see no way to determine wich action is the current slot. Did i miss something here?

Does anybody know a other way to achieve this?

Edit: got an answer to this: Publisch next scheduler action to HA Ā· Issue #170 Ā· nielsfaber/scheduler-component Ā· GitHub

I looked through the documentation but could not find a clear answer to this question (or perhaps according to the documentation it is undefined?):

Are timeslot schedules where some timeslots do not always exist supported? This happens for example when you set a light to turn on at 6 am and turn off at sunrise - in the winter sunrise is after 6 am and the light is on for some time, but in the summer, sunrise is before 6 am and the light is not supposed to turn on at all in the morning. And obviously the reverse applies in the evening.

Right now all I could find in the documentation is that the end time of a timeslot must be at least one minute later than the start time, which would not be true for these timeslots during some part of the year.

If this works, it would be great if the documentation said so, and if not, I would love to see it implemented. I figure it might also tie in to the github request for not changing the status of a light when a new timeslot starts, if the state is the same as in the previous time slot. During the summer, my outdoor lights should never be turned on or off by the scheduler at all.

I stand by these words.
The user is responsible for defining the start and end times of a timeslot such that they will not become reversed.
If they become reversed, I am guessing the timeslot will be skipped completely (but itā€™s untested).
I am not planning to add any intelligence inside scheduler to correct the reversal (i.e. flip the start/stop times), for me this is a user error.

I see. Do you see the use case for having them reverse depending on sunrise and sunset though? I would have thought that it was something that happened to a lot of people, but perhaps most people live at latitudes where the sun doesnā€™t change that much over the year? Sunrise here changes between 08:47 in December and 03:49 in June.

Greetings from Sweden :wink:

hi all, after installing scheduler-card-custom-component, following the instructions i still canā€™t add card scheduler within the home assistant configuration + add integration. missing
cleaned cashe within the browser, reboot.

within terminal ssh i have the following files
pwd
/home/pi/IOTstack/volumes/home_assistant/www/community/scheduler-card
pi@raspberrypi:~/IOTstack/volumes/home_assistant/www/community/scheduler-card $ ls
scheduler-card.js scheduler-card.js.gz
pi@raspberrypi:~/IOTstack/volumes/home_assistant/www/community/scheduler-card $
pi@raspberrypi:~/IOTstack/volumes/home_assistant/custom_components $ ls
ble_monitor hacs scheduler

version: core-2021.12.10
installation_type: Home Assistant Container
dev: false
hassio: false
docker: true
user: root
virtualenv: false
python_version: 3.9.7