Schlage Encode Wifi

Hey folks, I have been following this thread intently hoping that a solution would pop up for this model (Bluetooth / HomeKit)

I’m not sure how the Schlage Home app does it, but It seems to me that since I can control my lock away from home, that for some reason @dknowles2 excellent pyschlage python script would find it, but alas, when I log in (using pyschlage) it cannot find my lock.

Is this a WiFi locl only solution? Is there any way to have pyschlage ‘see’ my lock?

Thanks

I have the Schlage Sense as well, but I use it with the Schlage BR400 WiFi to Bluetooth adapter. I think adding it to Apple homekit allows outside connection for the Schlage app, but it doesn’t work for Home Assistant. I’m not sure how that works, my house is all Android phones.

Is it normal for the lock to sometimes take minutes to respond to a command?

For reference, I’m now on the new built in integration (deleted the custom component out of the folder and re-setup with the built in version).

Oh, that makes sense.

The integration is meant for Wi-Fi locks and has only been thoroughly tested on Encode locks. I think the v2 Encode locks work as well if you don’t add them to HomeKit.

The bluetooth protocol is very complicated and I haven’t had time to reverse it. There’s a FR tracking it here: FR: Bluetooth support · Issue #28 · dknowles2/pyschlage · GitHub. But it’s very low on my priority list and I probably won’t get it done any time soon.

I’ve heard multiple reports of the BR400 connected locks taking a long time to respond. I’m not sure what the cause is. From what I’ve been able to ascertain from the decompiled Android app, I’m calling the right endpoint. The code is mostly obfuscated though so it’s hard to follow in places. It’s possible there’s some switch to Bluetooth if it detects the lock is nearby. Bad Gateway when Locking/Unlocking with Schlage Integration · Issue #99777 · home-assistant/core · GitHub is tracking the problem with br400 if you want to follow along.

1 Like

If by V2 you mean the Encode Plus, the one with Apple Home Key support, then yes it works with that.

You can add it to HomeKit as that appears to use the Bluetooth pairing, and then to Home Assistant (through the cloud), which appears to use WiFi. I think the delay is because the lock sleeps WiFi as much as possible. Interacting with the lock through the Apple Home app is significantly more reliable than the Schlage app.

It seems like HA can see the lock through Bluetooth, but the pairing process doesn’t work properly at the moment, potentially because of this:

I suspect even if it’s fixed, if you add the lock to HA, even if you export it back out to HomeKit, the Home Key functionality won’t work anymore.

At this point I’ve only installed one door lock (the Schlage Sense / Homekit) so I think it would be easier to just circle back and go with a different lock that would integrate well w/HA.

Not to derail this thread but are there thoughts about what that might be? I still like Schlage, are there any Schlage locks that integrate well w/HA and don’t rely on the cloud?

I don’t understand, what’s wrong with the Schlage Sense you have now? I’m confused.

It doesn’t integrate w/Home Assistant

If you have a bluetooth adapter, you can pair it via that however, after some quick googling, it looks like when you unpair it from your Schlage on your phone, so that you can pair it with HA, you lose the configured keypad codes, and there doesn’t currently seem to be a way to add them back via Home Assistant.

You might be able to pair the lock to HA via Bluetooth, then export it from HA to Homekit, then in the Apple Home app, add codes back to the lock.

would you all recommend this? I am looking to move to a wifi door lock and I can get the Schlage Ease White Abode WiFi Bridge here in Australia.

thank you

Received a notification for a firmware upgrade for the Schlage Encode. Has anyone tried installing it yet? I’m hesitant to upgrade with no clear way to downgrade if it breaks the integration.

I just checked, and that’s the firmware mine has apparently always been on so you should be good.

My Schlage Encode updated its firmware overnight, I wasn’t asked to update but it stills seems to be working with Home Assistant.
Firmware is now v11.0.682205

Is there a way to prevent automatic firmware updates?

I dont believe lock firmware will break the integration. The integration talks to the allegion cloud api, not the actual lock. (Which means they could choose to brick it the way myQ did…)

1 Like

I am having issues getting my encode initially setup, its an encode wifi BE489WB2

The lock is always “unavailable” in HA, although I am able to interact with the lock without issue from the Schlage Home app. Strangely, the firmware version shown in HA doesn’t match what the schlage app reports. When I set up the lock, I get no debug logs. After a bit, I start to see this repeated:

2023-11-03 07:10:41.038 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.schlage] Finished fetching schlage (p****@gmail.com) data in 1.652 seconds (success: True)

HA 2023.11.0

I opened this GH issue as well: Schlage lock always unavailable · Issue #103197 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

Anyone have any suggestions?

I just installed a Schlage Encode lock, set it up through the Schlage app, and added the Schlage integration to Home Assistant without any issue.

The problem that I am experiencing is that locking or unlocking the lock from Home Assistant takes several seconds, sometimes even more than 30 seconds. Has anybody experienced this issue? Or knows how to fix it?

1 Like

I have two Encode Plus locks both working fine from HomeKit and the Schlage app. I installed the official integration and entered my username/password and it reported connecting successfully but neither lock shows up as a device or entity. What am I missing?

Encode Plus is different to the Encode Wifi, maybe ask in this thread.
Schlage Encode Plus - Hardware - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Hello,

I currently have Encode Plus set up through Schlage App, to keep it on Wifi

I’ve setup Apple HomeKey through Homekit. Everything works fine

My one question is, when using Home assistant with the Schlage Integration that now exists…The door lock or unlocks right away. Very responsive. But it take 10 or 15 seconds for the entity to update. So anotherwords, if I’m not home and lock my door be cause I forgot, I’ll have to sit there for a few and wait to see if the button updates to locked

Is this just a currently limitation of the schlage app that will hopefully get better with updates?

other than that all works great. No matter/thread apple hubs etc. Blue tooth is every bit as fast as matter for the HomeKey function… Don’t let apple people fool you lol Batter just takes a bigger hit being on wifi