Screen estate : Settings - Device page - change column width?

edit: just to be clear, I am not referring to dashboard/lovelace but the settings pages from the main HA console.

Maybe I’m missing something obvious but is there any standard way (or workaround) to change the column width in the device views (and potientially other settings pages).

I’d like to make good use of all that wasted screen estate.

Zooming in also increases font size so not an option.

Layout card adds a few extra modes that your cards can be organized by.
However I feel that the best and easiest way to handle your issue is just to minimized the left menu and start to use the icons instead.

Not sure I follow, isn’t layout cards for dashboards (lovelace) only ?

minimized left menu just wastes even more screen estate…

Ahh, I did not notice that the picture was of the device view.
Nevermind my posts then.
I should have read your post an extra time before replying. :smiley:

I think you might need a feature request for that wish and please post here, if you make one, so I can vote for it. :wink:

1 Like

No problem, I actually use layout-card and knew this could be confusing, added an extra note :wink:

Will just wait a bit to see if anyone chimes in as I’m actually surprised this is not a standard feature or already a feature request. Attributes names are always truncated and using a 4K monitor it looks really awkward.

I would also like to see the ability to change this. It’s not always a problem, but in some cases, like Zigbee devices in Z2M which have sliders for settings, the truncation severely impacts usability.

2 Likes

Found a temporary workaround if you need to see the details hidden by the truncation.

Right click on the page, and (in Chrome) select “Inspect”.

Then, in the Elements Box, select the <div class="container"> element and at the top of the Styles box, uncheck max-width: 1000px;.

This will allow the columns to scale until the next time you refresh the page.

Thanks for the workaround. Would be great if this was the default behavior…
Quite surprised this was not addressed yet.

1 Like

I just ran into the same issue with this and agree it should be a possibility already.

I did not see any current feature requests for this so I went ahead and created one.

If you could please head over there and vote for it so that it makes it up the flagpole to get fixed!

Please find that feature request here:

3 Likes

Done, thank you :wink:

Done. Thank you for creating that.