Screen Reader Accessibility Becoming Broken

Hi all. I use a screenreader to interact with my computer, either VoiceOver with Mac and iOS, or NVDA with Windows. Until recently, most of HA worked fine through the browser interface and iOS, and I could work with HA very well. After an update in November 2023, most menus list their items all as “Group” rather than the menu item name. I can only work it by memory choosing the right menu item from its order in the list, or sometimes an OCR can read the entire screen and I can get the list of items and choose the right one.

I can’t explain what has to happen in the browser for things to be read correctly, but something about the titles of the menu items is showing on the screen, but not being read by the screenreader any more. It used to be that only a few dialogues were this way, but now most of the program menus are virtually unlabled for me.

Can this be looked into so that HA is again usable with a screenreader as it used to be? If further development makes even less of the program and iOS app available, I may have to give up HA altogether, unless I had others do all my HA programming, which is very impracticle.

I’ve very much been enjoying HA, so I hope accessibility can be improved without any hardship to developers. I thank you very much for your consideration.

Kevin

Could you please create a discussion here:

The frontend team are responsive to accessibility issues and do want to make the project accessible for everyone.

1 Like

Thank you @tom_l. I wasn’t quite sure where this should go, and I will check there and comment if it isn’t already there. Appreciate it very much.

Kevin

1 Like