Script/automation for if haven’t left house in days

Hello everyone,

I just thought of an idea while sitting at work and have no idea on the script or coding to do this but.

Usually my wife and I will walk the dogs after 9pm but lately we haven’t been doing it and need to get back in the habit. I thought it would be cool if the script sees that we haven’t left the house together in the last 2 days between 9p-11a to shout out for us to walk the dogs.

This certainly would be the cheapest/free option besides buying expensive dog collar tracking devices. Would love some help on getting this running

input_boolean:
  failed_day_one:
  failed_day_two:

binary_sensor:
  platform: template
  sensors:
    both_in:
      value_template: "{{ states('device_tracker.YOU') == 'home' and states('device_tracker.WIFE') == 'home' }}"

automation:
  - alias: Failed day counter
    trigger:
      platform: time
      at: '21:00:00'
    action:
      service: homeassistant.turn_on
      data_template:
        entity_id: >
          {% if is_state('input_boolean.failed_day_two' , 'on') %} script.walk_the_dog
          {% elif is_state('input_boolean.failed_day_one' , 'on') %} input_boolean.failed_day_two
          {% else %} input_boolean.failed_day_one {% endif %}

- alias: Probably walked the dog
    trigger:
      platform: state 
      entity_id: binary_sensor.both_in
      to: 'off' 
    condition:
      condition: time
      after: '21:00:00'
      before: '23:00:00'
    action:
      service: homeassistant.turn_off
      entity_id:
        - input_boolean.failed_day_one
        - input_boolean.failed_day_two

script:
  walk_the_dog:
    sequence:
      - service: light.turn_on 
        entity_id: light.living_room
        data:
          color: red
      - service: notify.YOU
        data:
      - service: notify.WIFE
        data:

Or something similar.

6 Likes

@anon43302295 you are amazing! Can’t thank you enough for the time that you spent on this.

I can edit code and manipulate it but would never be able to do what you did. Though I do get an error that I need to look through and it seems to do with the automation.yaml file that I have that the configuration file is linked to. The error I get is this.

2018-08-28 20:30:40 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Invalid config for [automation]: expected a dictionary for dictionary value @ data['action'][0]['data_template']. Got None. (See /home/christoph/.homeassistant/configuration.yaml, line 163). Please check the docs at https://home-assistant.io/components/automation/

1 Like

I would have never thought of that approach. Brilliant!

1 Like

Ahhh… There’s just a small typo…

data_template: >

Should not have > on the end…

Then add a line under that that says:

entity_id: >

No worries :sunglasses:

Hopefully you’ve fixed this now from @swiftlyfalling 's note, but I’ve modified the code in my original post to fix the error.

Hope the dogs enjoy it :+1:

1 Like

Throwing up no more errors in my HA. Thanks again to you and @swiftlyfalling

2 Likes